$700 to spend...

whjr15

Just looking for some opinions on what I should spend it on...

Here's what I need:

A "workhorse" mic for recording at least halfway decent vocals, acoustic, and electric guitar amp. This is most important as mine just took a dump on me.

Here's what I'm considering:

Monitors. I'll probably end up with the krk rp5's, but I was just wondering... Without any room treatment, will monitors even make any difference at all? In other words, will they noticeably help my mixes out compared to the old bookshelf speakers I'm using now? I'm hesitant on room treatment at the moment, as I still live with my parents for the time being, so I'm not in a permanent "studio" setting.

Here's what I have now:

Newer HP laptop
Alesis multimix 16usb
Stereo reciever... using as my speaker amp.
Old bookshelf speakers. 4'' woofer, 1'' tweeter.
Fender hot rod deville 212.
Agile al3000
Martin DXME
Various other pieces that arent noteworthy for this post.

So, any suggestions? If I missed something, feel free to mention something else I should look into purchasing.

New monitors WILL make a difference even if in an untreated room
just go between monitors and an aux into stereo so you can see how muddy it will sound or compensate for any short comings when it sounds good on both burn and play in the car stereo if it sounds good there your set.

I don't see why you would go for monitors before room treatment. Room treatment is the most cost effective way to get better mixes and also recordings. I would put that as my #1 priority (after instruments).

Then I'd either get a good mic/monitors. It's up to you. You'll end up needing both eventually, so which one you get first is up to you.

if you use nearfield monitors and sit in the sweet spot (angle them towards your head so that the monitors and your head form a triangle (not necessarily equilateral) they should help somewhat atleast.
for a workhorse mic, i'd look into an oktavamod mk-219/319

I suggest getting a Reflextion Filter and a heavy blanket. Then see about getting a AT4033 with the rest.

Temporary room treatment and a decent mic for vox and acoustic and guitars.

When you come across some more money upgrade your monitors.

danny.guitar said:
I don't see why you would go for monitors before room treatment.

I had already mentioned that room treatment is not a viable option at this time. I'm not looking for a way around it, as I know there probably isn't one. I figured since I'm gonna end up buying monitors at some point, why not buy 'em while I have the cash.

Bigwillz, I was actually wondering about that filter thing. I saw it at Guitar Center a few days ago, and wondered if it was worth the $300 dollar price tag. Do you have it?

As far as mics go, I've been considering the Blue Bluebird. After some research, it seems as though people consider it the "workhorse" of Blue mics, as it isnt application specific like the others. (bottle exempt) Any of you have a reason why I shouldn't get it?

All in all, I'm not looking for (or expecting) a magic solution to record a commercial quality song... I just want to get some decent stuff that I won't be throwing away next time I upgrade.

Decisions decisions...

Yes I have one of the reflextion filters and I believe it's worth the $300 price tag. It works wonders in untreated rooms for vocals and guitars. I haven't had a chance to use a bluebird mic as of yet. But I suspect it will be good.

akg 414 - Workhorse mic (im currently saving for a pair)
or possibly a nice dynamic, shure sm7, ev re20 would be useful for what your recording especially as the rooms untreated.

danny.guitar said:
I don't see why you would go for monitors before room treatment. Room treatment is the most cost effective way to get better mixes and also recordings. I would put that as my #1 priority (after instruments).

he said he cant treat his room!
and mixing on box shelf speakers are gonna color the sound a lot! probably more than the room

-FK

i had a bluebird for a while and it is a solid, all-around mic. i still prefer my oktavamodded pe mk-219 though-- it has a flatter, un-hyped sound, but it is still more flattering to my ears. i preferred it to my blue blueberry in fact, which wasn't exactly "hyped" but it had a very processed sound. ymmv :)
i think the reflexion filter is a good thing to have, but if you can't spring for that right away, you could pick up some auralex aural xpanders-- a set of baffles to use behind mics, to decouple mic stands from the floor, etc. that are useful and will be even after you can pick up a reflexion filter. the set runs about $60. there are alternatives to the reflexion filter too including, but not limited to the portable vocal booth by real traps, the mod trap sets by www.modtrap.com, or the "mic thing" by sm pro. i'm sure that proponents of each could tell you why each of those are the best. ymmv :)

Ok, so youv'e convinced me to get the reflexion filter. I don't imagine I'll ever "outgrow" it, so that's a good thing.

As far as a mic goes, I'll check 'em all out at the store and see which one passes my "preliminary sound test" and then audition it at home. If it doesn't fit the bill, I'll just exchange it!

Thanks everyone :cool:

-Joe

fishkarma said:
he said he cant treat his room!

Well, I figured he didn't want to because he's living with his parents and doesn't want permanent treatment. But room treatment doesn't have to be permanent (and in most cases, in home recording, it's not).

What I had in mind was some 2x4x4" panels or 'gobos' that you could setup in the room (don't have to mount them to the wall or anything) and set those up behind a mic, or in a corner of a room for tracking vocals/guitar, etc.

And making a few of these 2-4" thick panels would probably do better and be cheaper.

Back