7-pin microphones

kgirl72

do all 7-pin microphone cables work on say both a rode and a studio projects? The only one I could find was the studio projects cable.
The old one fell apart and shocked the hell outta me 3 times dammit. :mad:

I'd expect the cables to all be straight-thru wired, so the only real question is whether the shielded twisted pair is on the same set of pins. I'd thus expect it to either work or hum.

What mic is this for?

I'd say the same, that they are probably going to use the same cable. Not sure why you are getting shocked, though, sorry :(

K, as was said the cables should be "straight through" so you shouldn't have any compatability problems.

I can't remember the specific "assignments" on 7 core cables but you've obviously exposed the wire(s) carrying the power from the pwr supply to the mic's preamp/tube, etc.

:cool:

ausrock, you hit the nail on the head. The mic cable was falling apart, and as I was trying to get it right, I touched the mic and got shocked. Not sure why the two previous times were.

I have a Studio Projects mic, which, I THINK is the one that went bad, and the NTK. I could not find one single 7 pin mic except this studio projects one they're making, so I bought it. I looked at the connectors...they look the same. Hopefully, I won't have any problems. SP claims they're just fantastic. I paid like $45 for it.

In the meantime, I'm waiting on two tiny condensor mics which are omnis and I should have fun with those. They were $25 apiece. So, I got a matched pair. I'll let everyone know how they turned out. I plan on putting those IN the piano first. But every panel is off, and it's all exposed anyway, haha.

Based on the price you paid it sounds like you have a TB1 and of course SP say nice things about it;)........all manufacturers praise their own products.

What I'm wondering is do have you a good 7 pin cable on hand? If so, have you tried it out on both mics...........obviously, I'm presuming that....... 1) you are using the appropriate manufacturers power supply with each mic, and....... 2) that you have used the SP mic in the past without any issues.

:cool:

I'm afraid to get shocked again! The mic I have is a T3. I'm not sure which cable burned out. I'll try plugging the other one into the NTK, and see what happens.

I'm a scared!

I think it was the T3 cable that went kaputz. I remember the blue on the connectors, so with the new cable made for these mics, I should be good to go.

My concern is that the "fault" is within the mic itself and the fact that someone sold it for $45 makes me even more curious. Tell you what, if you decide you don't want the T3, fault or no fault, I'd be interested in buying it from you.........cover your costs plus postage to Oz..........as I have one and wouldn't mind a pair.

ChrisO :cool:

No, I want to keep it. But, the Rode cable did NOT work with the SP mic. So, I emailed rode and told them I needed a new cable. Just waiting for an answer. I don't really need one of the rodes, but I better have a backup!

It pisses me off that I can't use the cables interchangeably. Dammit! :(

P.s. it was the cable that cost $45. Not the mic. And I bought it off one of the big sites.

But, I suppose the mic could be the culprit, however if so, how does the mic cable just fall apart like that AND the mic be bad. Seems too coincidental. We'll find out when the cable gets here, I suppose.

K,

I just had a chat to Rode in Sydney and found out that for some reason they chose to wire their 7 pin cables differently, so while they will work between the Rode tube mics, they won't work with other brands. I've also mentioned your email to SP elsewhere, whether my message is picked up in time or not I probably won't know.

ChrisO :cool:

I've talked to Alan, and he says to ship it out, because I'm also having problems with the power supply. So, looks like I'm going to the post office.

What's weird is that RODE doesn't advertise that they have cables for sale. I shot them an email too.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH.....................FU**#NG Halloween trick or treaters :mad:........it's not even an Australian custom, or well it wasn't until the marketing gurus thrust it upon us not that many years ago, before that it was just some American thing that we saw in the odd TV show.

OK rant over............K, glad you spoke to Alan, he will sort that out for you.

Re RODE......I did ask if they sold cables as replacement parts and they said "yes" so I guess you just have to hope their US office have stock.

Chris :cool:

Yo Kgirl! I will say this. I had a cable that came with my NTK which more or less disintegrated with no hard usage. I emailed Rode customer service, and they priority mailed me a perfectly good cable that did not disintegrate, no questions asked. I can't bitch.-Richie

I;ve noticed many of the "high-end" tube mics that i've worked with tend to have differently cabled 7- and 9-pin XLRs (i'm talking Manley Gold Reference, BLUE Bottles, Sony C-800s, etc). Your best bet is as previously advised to buy one from the manufacturor of the microphone in question; whilst I doubt it would cause any damange to either the PSU or the mic/tube itself it's problably worth the extra cash just to buy one form the original manufacturor..

Back