6db of Dyamic Range.....make that much difference?

rkruz

If two almost identically functioned Audio interfaces have 107 and 113db dynamic range respectively, is that going to make a difference for the home recording setup?

Im comparing the ESP1010 and Layla 3G. Layla has 113db range. I got ESI feedback from my query to them that their unit is 107db and is measured equivalently as to how the Layla is spec'....so its apples to apples comparison. The $ difference is $100 less for ESP1010.

It seems to me then that it boils down to paying $100 for 1 bit of improvement for Layla3G. You think thats worth it? $319 vs $414.

Thanks for the input.

All other things being equal, no it would not be worth another $100. Especially if you are recording a loud genre of music. Classical guitar, orchestra, chamber music needs the lower noise floor, a Mesa Boogie doesn't.
The only thing to consider is why the cheap one has a higher noise floor. What else did the manufacturer cheap out on? If it has a cheap jittery clock, it won't matter what the noise floor is. (for example)

well....ESP only said that the spec was the A/D spec from the device they choose. They apparently used that device to save$. THey have other products, Julie for example that have better dynamic range and use a better A/D.

Technically the noise floor will make a difference. Realistically it won't, even for classicla stuff. That 6db is more than easily made up for by the internal noise of a microphone, air flow, preamps, etc...

Farview is right on BTW. The real question here is why is there a difference? And if one part is cheaper, how many of the others are as well? My gut says go with the Echo. At least they have been around for a while building soundcards so one could reasonably assume that they have refined their technique a bit:)

Back