64bit O/S rewired program and 4 gb ram limit?

Prado Escondido

I'm posting this anywhere I can think of, hoping to find a 64bit O/S guru!

I'm a little late to the party ... finally understood about running my 32bit stuff under 64bit O/S and getting the additional ram. Since I had a 64bit ready PC, it's just a matter of getting the software and adding to my 4gb ram.

My understanding is that ... given adequate ram ... each program can access up to 4gb individually.

1. Does that 4gb include any hosted plugins ... or do they access ram independently?

2. What about a rewired program? Does each rewired program have it's own access to 4gb, or is it only permitted access to share the 4gb of the host program?

Thanks ... the answers will determine how fast I open my pocketbook.

Prado

You don't state what OS you are running.... But if it was windows 7 for instance it manages the available resourses for you - if set up properly.
With W7 you can have any amount of ram the 4gb ceiling is for the 32 bit version.

Sorry ... I'm running XP Pro and contemplating upgrading to Win 7 64bit. I found my answer elsewhere ... if anyone else is interested in the question.

Generally running 32bit apps under 64bit O/S in Win 7 each program can access up to a 4GB max. Most hosted plugins would share this same 4GB with the host DAW ... but apparently a few 'heavy hitters' like Kontakt can access Ram independently of the host, so grab their own 4GB. Nice for a sampler!

Also, I was told rewired apps are independent apps, so each slaved rewire program can independently acquire up to its own 4GB max. That sounds great too ... as I think the main problem with rewire so far has been memory limitations. I know I've blown out a few intensive projects and been unable to reload after the crash. So now time for a fresh look at rewire. BTW rewire apparently is only running at 32bit, so everything under the 64bit O/S must also be 32 bit. In other words ... no bridging.

Prado

You might have the option of downloading a 64-bit version of the software you're running under the same user license. I'd check into that if I were you.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm pretty sure that won't work.

I understand that 'windows on windows 65,' or 'WOW64,' that is required to be able to continue to run your 32 bit apps and devices in 64 bit O/S are first afvailable in Win 7 from the Professional edition up.

Since I'm on Win XP Pro ... there is no such 'free' upgrade AFAIK.

What has taken a little of the wind out of my sails is the recognition that as far as I've learned, I'll have to reinstall all 32 bit stuff under the 64 bit O/S.

WOW64 apparently keeps dual registries and system folders for 64 and 32 bit apps. It has a 'redirect' function that recognizes which bits the app is and then takes a different path. So it looks like I must 'clean install' ... a good idea anyway ... and not just 'upgrade' and capture my already installed apps and hardware. I'm still looking into this.

Prado

Back