64 Bit Reso??

We really can't fully take advantage of 24 bit because it can capture more dynamic range than anything is capable of feeding it. There is simply no point.

Pissing contest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A pissing contest, or pissing match, is a game in which participants compete to see who can urinate the highest, the farthest, or the most accurately.[1] Although the practice is often associated with adolescent boys, women have been known to play the game, and there are literary depictions of adults competing in it. Since the 1940s the term has been used as a slang idiomatic phrase describing contests that are "futile or purposeless", especially if waged in a "conspicuously aggressive manner".[2] As a metaphor it is used figuratively to characterise ego-driven battling in a pejorative or facetious manner that is often considered vulgar.[3] The image of two people urinating on each other has also been offered as a source of the phrase.[4]

i love it too, but did anyone notice that the op never mentioned 24 bit ?!?!?
I think the point the others were making is that even 24bit is more than enough and more than we can hear, so 64 bit is REALLY not necessary.

From what I've read 16 bit resolution has a dynamic range of 96... 24 bit has 144 dB.

But in what real world situation would you be able to take full advantage of 144 dB of dynamic range anyway? Ambient room/whatever noise can be anywhere from 30-45 dB anyway, which takes away from the 144 dB range. From what I understand, using a higher bit rate for the sake of a wider dynamic range is pointless, especially considering the fact that anything sounding at 144 dB is excruciatingly loud and will cause hearing damage.

I feel ashamed for taking part in this so called pissing contest :(

OP,

The assumption so far has been that you were referring to sampling, but maybe you had 64 bit floating point processing in mind?

We can't even take advantage of 24-bit because of thermal noise. Find me a converter with over 125dB of DR and I'll eat my hat. Not to mention, most rooms aren't much lower in ambient noise than 40dBSPL as best.

I'm actually glad everyone else is so worried about bits, samples and painstaking minutia. It reminds me to get on with worrying about the music.

Cheers :)

Are you having some problem with your sound quality you think might be fixed with "64 bit"?

This is the right question.

To be clear, 64-bit refers to the resolution of the math engine used in DAW software, not the record resolution of a sound card. Almost all DAWs do math at 32 bits floating point, but some offer 64 bits as an option.

--Ethan

this is the right question.

To be clear, 64-bit refers to the resolution of the math engine used in daw software, not the record resolution of a sound card. Almost all daws do math at 32 bits floating point, but some offer 64 bits as an option.

--ethan

ding! Ding! Ding!

I asked for others input rami, un like u I don't know everything. The "ding, ding" wasn't cuz he answerd a question it was because he was revering to what I ment in the post.

Keep up Rami

Back