61 key controller that holds up to live use...

warble2

Not an expert
Hey all,
Did some searching here this AM in search of controller ideas. What I'm looking to purchase is a 61 key controller that will hold up to a busy gigging schedule. I'm using a Motif 8 live and love it, but need something with a bit lighter feel for the organ stuff I'm doing. Semi-weighted would be fine.

The M-Audio Axiom looks good, but I'm curious about the real world use out of the studio for this one. Any 61 key controllers anyone is using that would be recommended for live use? I don't beat up my keyboards, but I get playing pretty hard.

can't help there cause i'm interested in this as well... i get tired of trying to do organ glisses on a hammer type action... it's killin my knuckles... but it has to be gig worthy/reliable/etc...

I use an Axiom 61 for live. It's a good sturdy controller with one caveat - you have to be a little careful with the faders as they're a little delicate. Transport it in a decent case and you'll be alright.

It is a heavy semi-weighted action though. It took me a little getting used to, but it works.

And what is a "busy gig schedule"? That means something different to different people? I have used mine weekly with no issues.

Thanks for the replies. Busy for me is weekly - every weekend and I'd use it in the my studio during the week to lay down song ideas, etc.

I should probably head out and play one before purchase. I was hoping for an action maybe similar to my old Roland XP-80. My main use will be for doing organ work, but I'll also be playing marimbas, strings and perhaps some other stuff like that. I'm sure it's lighter action than my Motif, so that would work.

Thanks again. I was here yesterday and forgot to check this thread.

Actually, it's got a bizarre feel all of its own. took me a little getting used to.

Should be fine for weekly gigs. Just be careful with the faders.

I'll take bizarre...lol. It'll be here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Hoping to use it in the studio here too, but I'm running Vista 64 with Sonar x64, and it looks like there isn't a driver for it yet - well Vista has some kind of driver for it, but it's only a basic USB audio driver by the sound of it.

I'll take bizarre...lol. It'll be here tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it. Hoping to use it in the studio here too, but I'm running Vista 64 with Sonar x64, and it looks like there isn't a driver for it yet - well Vista has some kind of driver for it, but it's only a basic USB audio driver by the sound of it.

It works fine with MIDI

It works fine with MIDI

Nice piece of gear! Haven't dug in too much yet, but think I can get it to work with Sonar. Not a biggie though as using it via MIDI to work with VSTi's works for me right now.

Pretty easy ripping off some organ licks and I like the rubber wheel pitch and mod wheels. I'd agree on the faders being delicate, but aside from that, I hope they can be used at drawbar controls. I'm guessing it is possible once I dig in.

Out of curiosity, what do you carry yours to gigs in?

Back