$600 what next

Pahtcub

Thinking of investing in some acoustic room treatment but wanted to see if any of my other gear were bigger flaws in my signal chain. My main chain is c3000b into personus audiobox 1818vsl to cubase 6.5 and out Yamaha Msp5. Just got an auralex mudguard and am very impressed by how it improve on my ugly room reflections. Have plentyof other gear but don't want to list everything this is my main signal chain. Any thoughts? I run the gamut of popular music styles from rock to hip hop to electronica.

What do actually record? Instruments or just vocals? Either way room treatment is pretty important. But you don't have to spend $600 on it. Depending on the room size, you could do a lot of good for half that. Look into making some panels and bass traps out of different types of insulation. The materials I decided on were Bonded Logic Ultratouch insulation for broadband absorbers and Roxul Rockboard 60 for bass traps. This is a great article that will give you the info on what will help the most: Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

The other $300 could buy you a decent preamp to put before the Presonus. Not that those preamps aren't pretty decent themselves, but there is always room for improvement. Maybe a used Golden Age Projects Pre 73 or FMR RNP, depending on the sound you're going for.

Mostly vocals but sometimes reamp a di feed if I don't like a tone. I'm intrigued by the self made acoustic treatment and went to home depot today but couldn't find anything except pink fiberglass insulation, guess I will try looking online, do you know any other places to get the proper insulation?

Mostly vocals but sometimes reamp a di feed if I don't like a tone. I'm intrigued by the self made acoustic treatment and went to home depot today but couldn't find anything except pink fiberglass insulation, guess I will try looking online, do you know any other places to get the proper insulation?

You won't find the compressed fiberglass for bass traps at stores (owens corning 705, Roxul Rockboard 60, etc), you'd have to order it. I got mine from here: Roxul Rockboard 60

You can find the Bonded Logic Ultratouch insulation at Menards. Based on NRC specs and personal experience, I thought it was an excellent choice, but YMMV. It's also made out of recycled denim. So if you're into recycling or just don't like being itchy, that's a bonus too.

Thanks ordered 12 sheets of 2 inch, should be a fun weekend project. Thanks for the advice always wanted a better mic pre but thought $300 was a little on the short side for cost. Probably save up for 600-800$ pre with my savings from the room treatment. Thanks again.

Here is a thread I made showing the basic construction of the panels that I made: https://homerecording.com/bbs/gener...g-display/new-bedroom-studio-pictures-337488/

I'm no expert on this stuff though, so make sure you do some research before you start. For example, I went with 2" thick bass traps. Many would say 4" is necessary. It's probably better to use 4", but I can hear a big difference with the traps I made. That's something you should look into and decide for yourself.

BTW, I'm not using the room in that thread anymore, I've moved back to a larger room in the house and am in the process of making a few more panels to add.

Thanks ordered 12 sheets of 2 inch, should be a fun weekend project. Thanks for the advice always wanted a better mic pre but thought $300 was a little on the short side for cost. Probably save up for 600-800$ pre with my savings from the room treatment. Thanks again.

Well that was quick! Good luck with the construction. You can of course get a better pre with $600-800. I just got a Focusrite ISA One and I'm loving it so far. I've got my eye on a UA 610 solo to have a colored option as well.

That looks awesome, I've just recently moved from my condo to an apartment so just looking to hang these like pictures for now, I love the vocal booth idea. Since I ordered 12 2 incher maybe I will make some beefier ones and some thinner ones.

Well, if you ordered the Rockboard 60, that's really a material that is best for bass traps. Those should be hung across some type of corner (wall/wall, wall/ceiling, they all work equally well). The common suggestion is to hang as many as you can fit in a room (within reason). So depending on the size, figure out how many panels you want. But 6 vs 12 would definitely save on time, lumber, and don't forget about fabric.

The common practice would then be to add broadband absorbers made of less dense insulation (that's the Ultratouch). The most important areas to place those would be early reflection spots (for a control room especially). The total coverage for the average control/live room combo should be around 50-70% of the total surface area of the room. The total surface area would include all the walls, the floor, and the ceiling. But surfaces that are already covered with furniture, carpet, drapes, etc. count for something too. But obviously carpet is not as effective as properly made acoustic panels, so you can make up your own calculation for that :).

You could hang the broadband absorbers like a picture, that's basically how mine are hung. But they're supposed to be more effective if you can space them a few inches from the wall.

How did you mount to ceiling?

Pretty simple, just 4 hooks on the panel and 4 on the ceiling. Attach all 4 to the panel (spaced 16" apart on the long sides, so you can use the studs), then hang two on the ceiling and hook one side of the panel on. Now swing the other side of the panel up to the ceiling and mark where the other set of hooks touch. This is where you need to place the other two ceiling hooks. I found this way easier than trying to measure and make template.

I got oc 703 so maybe I should call these my broadband absorbers?

You could, but it might not be the best. 703 is 3 lbs per cubic foot, I think what I used for broadband was 1.2 lbs per square foot. 705 is 6 lbs per cubic foot, that's what you'd want for bass traps that are only going to be 2" thick. 703 I think would normally be used for 4" thick bass traps.

Back