6 to a 7 string........

TMatt142

Has anyone here tried to convert an Ibanez six string into a 7 string model. I saw that a guy on Ebay did a few of them and they seemed to have turned out pretty nice. Of course he used the Ibanez models that had pickguards on the body (don't blame him). What about the anchor bolts for the trem though? and routing the trem cavity?? Sure would be willing to give it a go..

Well sure it is, I just figured that the neck is actually the easiest part to address....(route out the neck pocket to fit the 7 string neck.

Sure it can be done but its not just as simple as swapping out the neck. Once you've cut a new neck joint and made sure that your sitll bang on the centre line you have to then consider the following. The bridge has to be changed. Likely you will have to fill the existing holes for the bidge posts and relocate for new ones. If you have a tailpiece the same will have to done. If you opt for a guitar with a trembloc you also have to modify the mounting of that as well. You will also have to change the pickups for seven strings. Depending on the guitar this would involve anything from modifying the scratchplate to re-routing the cavities. Follow that with a setup and it amounts to quiet a bit of work. Not impossible but you might as well build one from a kit or available parts and have the benifit a truly unique instrument.

Replace the neck, tuners, bridge, and the pickups..........I think that it would cost less to buy a new guitar. The only thing that will be the same is the body.

Replace the neck, tuners, bridge, and the pickups..........I think that it would cost less to buy a new guitar. The only thing that will be the same is the body.
My point entirely...

Back