6/8 grooves...DEAR GOD!

MadAudio - Have you got some tracks of yours i could have a listen too? :)

tilinmyowngrave - I have no idea yet. I'm not a precect circle fan. WHich is not to say i don't like them but I've never had a listen to them. I picked up one of their albums today after being told that *most* if there stuff is in 6/8.

Just have a listen to some of there songs and tap your foot along. Then just start counting it out. If you're counting to 4 before you start at 4 again, then it's in 4/4. If you are counting groups of 6. Then more than likely it's in 6/8.

Almost any blues tune is in 6/8 ( or 12/8, not much difference...) whether it's a slow blues or a quick shuffle. A few examples of classic rock are "Some Kind of Wonderful", "Reeling in the Years", "Roadhouse Blues".

RAMI said:
Almost any blues tune is in 6/8 ( or 12/8, not much difference...) whether it's a slow blues or a quick shuffle. A few examples of classic rock are "Some Kind of Wonderful", "Reeling in the Years", "Roadhouse Blues".
I listen a lot of blues, and dont get me wrong, they are powerful grooves.

But they don't suit the style of music i play in this band. The songs need to be driven, need to get people going mad and enjoying themselves. In 4/4 this is relitavly simple. In 6/8 i'm finding im often repeating myself, and everything seems to stutter...

You know what, I'm babbling.

RAMI said:

Hmmm... I don't know if these are the best examples. They all border on being 4/4 with a shuffle feel.

Maybe a better example is "House of the Rising Sun" or Hendrix's "Manic Depression."

famous beagle said:
Hmmm... I don't know if these are the best examples. They all border on being 4/4 with a shuffle feel.

Maybe a better example is "House of the Rising Sun" or Hendrix's "Manic Depression."

two excellent songs as well as the timing

tilinmyowngrave said:
What a perfect circle songs are in 6/8? Im sry, I just started doing music theory 3 weeks ago, before that I just messed around, so I wanna get to udnerstand this kind of terminology.

Like dude said, most of them are I believe. Listen to 3 Libras and count. That one is the most obvious. The Hollow is a bit less obvious; it might even have some odd measures stuck in there, I can't remember right now. Judith might be 12/8 or something. I think Weak and Powerless is 6/8. Their stuff is hard to count in your head without hearing it because they do a lot of abnormal rhythms. Might not be the best material to learn 6/8. Kinda the same with Finger11.

Odd, but I read this thread yesterday - then went to Borders later than night and sat around reading some music magazines. This month's Modern Drummer has a nice article on 6/8 timing with a bunch of practice exercises - maybe go check it out!

Nick The Man - I'll relisten to it, the only issue is that the whole band want to stay WELL away from prog.

rweiss - That sounds perfect...I've just got to find somewhere that stocks it now. MD is hard to get hold of in the UK unless your subscribing. :(

Supercreep - I've just listened to it, I like it. Gave me an idea or two. Thanks :D

Back