"58-'60 flametop reissues

Tweedville

What is your opinion of the reissues by Gibson (Historic Series)? I've played several older reissues (mid '80s) and found some to be really authentic in terms of weight and neck feel,as well as a good sound.I owned an original '59 before,and sold it...any opinions on the reissues,besides the fact that Gibson prices are outrageous?I haven't played any of these newer ones.

Poor Quality

I can't say that i've looked at the new reissues,but Gibson quality in general is very bad, to me anyway. I build my own guitars and repair major brands, and to me Gibson is one of the worst. Before anyone starts shooting at me, I know you may have a good one, even Gibson can get it right sometimes. It's just that the quality and the price just doesn't match. For $3000 or more there is a lot of guitars that would be a better buy.

I date it to the move from Kalamazoo to Tennessee.Before that,all these old guys on the same machine for years...you had a continuity of competence.
The market pressures from Asian guitars (when I was with Jackson/Charvel, entry level electrics were shipping out of India for less than $100)have really hurt domestic manufacturers.Gibson is living on dreams of the past.But Fender quality (on the USA stuff)lately seems as good as pricy vintage gear,because perhaps they can subsidise the domestic line with the Mex and Squire lines.
Stan,you have your own shop?I do repairs and QC for Rhythm Band in the educational market;guitars, ukes,xylos,steel drums and all kinds of ethnic percussion.
regards
Tom

Back