5 songs in 12 hours in a rehearsal room

Meshuggah

Hello...

I spent my saturday and sunday recording a local act in their (very small) rehearsal room. I monitored and recorded in the next room.

The band is called The Riots, and the mp3s can be found here:
http://hem.tyfon.net/wa0043/mp3/

Drums, bass and rythm guitar was recorded simultaneusly.

Drums (crap drums with old heads):
Kick - Shure Beta91 - Mackie, some eq - HD24
Snare - SM57 - dbx576, modest eq, comp bypassed - HD24
Toms - SM57 - Mackie, some eq - HD24
OH - Oktava MC012, hyper-card caps, XY - Mackie - HD24

Bass:
Fender P-bass - Gallen Krueger amp - Rode NT1 - Mackie - Insert to Behr. Composer for ~8db compression and an almost always red limiter light - HD24 (the old MDX2000 is AWESOME)

Guitar:
Fender Jaguar - Marshall JCM800 SL-X - Orange 4x12 - Line Audio CM2 - Mackie - HD24

Lead guitar: Same, but to the dbx576 - HD24

Shaker and Tambourine:
Oktava MC012, omni - dbx576 - HD24

Vocals:
Lead and Backing recorded simultanously, standing 1.5 meters from eachother.
Lead Vox - SM57 - dbx576, modest compression and limiting - HD24
Backing Vox - SM57 - Mackie - Behr. Composer, hard compression and limiting - HD24

-----------------------------------------

Back home: HD24 - Computer - CEP2

Drums:
Kick: Waves REQ 6-band - Waves L2 - CEP track EQ
Snare: Waves REQ 4-band - Waves RComp - Waves L2 - CEP track EQ
Toms: CEP track EQ
OH: CEP track EQ

Bass:
Waves L2 - CEP track EQ

Guitars:
CEP track EQ

Lead Vocals (three different ways):
1 (modest distortion): TC Native X (up to 15db reduction and SoftSat)
2 (more distortion): Waves RVox (HARD compression) - CEP Distortion
3 (telephone sound w/ slapback delay): Waves C4 - Waves Super-Tap 2 taps.

----------------------------------

Mixdown - Waves LinEQ (very small adjustments) - Waves LinMB (for a more solid bass and controlled highs) - Waves L2 (to bring the songs to equal sound pressures) - CD.

No reverbs used throughout the whole production. Both I and the band wanted it to as dry as possible.

Listened to the first one "Electric". Great energy in that! I love the raw sound. Sounds a little right speaker heavy - that more sustained guitar part in the left is mixed kind of low. The wah-wah part kind of snuck up on me. Hints of it earlier in the tune would have been nice.

Great job with the vocals. The recording/mixing of them fits the tune just right.

Good stuff - I'll check out some of the others.

Pretty cool. It has a sound like old Kinks recordings, the guitar in particular. Vocals are a little rough intonation wise but for this garage kind of sound it works. Not ba d my friend.

MAN! This stuff completely rocks. The band is incredible, not to mention the recording. Very good job buddy. This stuff is really kickin. I, for one, love the vocals, very strung out sounding....you know what I'm saying. Anyway, this stuff was awesome, that's for sharing.

Come On Lenin: I loved the "faders up" mix, so it's no surprise that I dig this mix. Really good rock bands with that slightly raw-ish garage thing are right up my alley, so I'm really biased on this tune. Things could be sonically better (better drum sounds), but I just turn it up and the mix problems go away for me :D.

Will get around to the other tunes soon, me be sloooooow.

Okay... one thing on "Come On Lenin": I really wanna hear that kick ass bass more in the mix. I don't fully trust my monitoring system's low end, but me wants more "BAH-DUUUMP!".

I listened to the first 2 tunes.. that is a great bass sound! the recording is good.. songs were cool.. I agree with Track Rat's comments about the vocals.. rough intonation, but still cool.. turn that bass up!

Checked out "Electric".

This is the best sound outta Sweden since Steam. ;)

I love the classic garage band sound to these guyz.
Reminds me of Iggy & The Stooges, and the MC5.

The bass playing was really energetic, the guitars kamikazied in & out well, the drums were a *little* dry, but not too bad.

What's great about playing this style of music.
No one can make out the lyrics, whether you sing it in English or not.

So methinks these boys have a future.

VI

Thank you all for listening, and the kind words. :)

I agree about the vocals. The bass player decided what was keepers on this recording, and I guess they wanted things to sound a bit sloppy. We sure didn't do many re-takes on this recording.

The worst part was the drums... those were CRAP drums. Quite a lot of EQ going on there.

I'm most happy about the way the bass turned out. The NT1 - Mackie - Composer trio was better than I thought. I know there's a couple of used MDX2000's around. I think I'll buy both.
Another good thing is that the band is perfectly happy with the outcome.

I'm DYING to get a chance to record a GOOD set of drums with a GOOD drummer in a GOOD room.

Thanks again for listening!

P.S. pglewis.. I'll see if I can do a Come On Lenin pglewis-mix. :)

Listening to Electric Karring.

Sounds pretty good in terms of levels and stereo image. i do think the lead vocal could come up a couple dB's. Nice drum recording.

i think i could have preferred a bit more low end overall, but i'd have to hear it on something besides monitors to be confident in that opinion.

Cool stuff Meshuggah!

BTW, what happened to Golem? :(

Song 1 - Please put the guitar on both sides. It lacks fullness with it on the right and overall to me throws off the mix. The drums are fine to me. They fit the song completely. Kind of like The Strokes or something.

Song 2 - Bring up the vocals a bit. Nice mix. Good clarity and very full sounding.

Song 3 - The tambourine (is that what it is) is odd. Maybe only pan it to one side or double it and pan hard right and left.

Song 4 - I can hear the gate on the drums in the beggining but it is an ok effect. I think the vocals could come up a bit on this too.

Song 5 - Good. No complaints here.

Hey I would hold on to these recordings for the resume. They are cool and have that 80's ramones sound or maybe the a lo-fi sort of sound like The Strokes. I like the drums, except maybe they are a bit mono for my taste. I think maybe you should turn the vocals a bit higher. I generally turn them up just a bit more than I think they should be.

---------------------------------------------------
I also listened to "up." Great guitar sound, but I think ther drums could come up a bit in the mix, especially the snare.
---------------------------------------------------
Very nice stuff man. Really.
Beez

Mesh, this is excellent work. The most balanced, natural sounding work I have ever heard from you! Good job man. I know how hard it is to get a sound like this with kind of situation you had to work in and the gear limitations.

If this is this band's demo, they should be VERY pleased with it!

Ed

hey this is strong happy stuff!

great work! I can hear that the vocals must have been some cringing trouble, but sounds great!

YES!!!! That first song rocks. I like the lofi sound. Dont change a damn thing. Havent listened to the rest of the songs yet.

:cool:

Mes;

You did a great job with what and where ya had to do this. These dudes RAWK, Man.

I hope to get into remotes and live remotes in the next few months.

CR ><>

Back