5 inch reels with a Tascam 388?

MagnumPI

5 inch reels on a Tascam 388
Can it be done safely?
I have some AMPEX 642 on 5" reels but not sure about trying it.
If "no", why not?
Thanks.

I can't see any problem with 5" reels so long as you also use the same sized take up reel.

The only function that won't be supported is the "load" feature, which presumes 7 inch reels with 1 mil tape.

Cheers! :)

Yep, I agree. The center hubs are the same diameter on standard 5 and 7-inch reels so you don't have the nominal torque difference issue as you do between 10-inch and 7-inch reels. The only issue as Ghost said is the feature to keep the tape from running off the reels on either end -- the Load feature will not be available. The 388 was designed to give the convenience of cassette tape by this load feature, but unfortunately only works with 1800 feet of tape, which requires 1-mil tape on 7-inch reel. Thinner tape was available down to a 0.5 mil base, but that was really pushing the limit for open reel tape and isn't suitable for professional multitrack use.

Another option is to splice the tape together and spool it onto 7-inch reels until you have 1800 feet on one reel, but its tedious work and splices don't always last forever. If you've been doing splices as long as I have its no trick and an angled cut will be audibly seamless, but I really rather not if I don't have to.

I still do physical splices on some, but not all mixdown tapes between songs. I do it less these days. And that way I can use tape from 7-inch reels to fill a 10-inch reel with leader in between each song. I have a lot more 1/4" tape on 7-inch reels than I do 10-inch, but plenty of empty 10-inch reels.

Did you read that you dont have to use 5 inch? you can use your 7 inch take up with those tapes/

Back