48V Phantom power - Mic Preamp

Papanya420

I have an Audio Technica AT2035 cardoid condenser mic that use use with my Presonus Audiobox USB. The Audiobox has 48v phantom power which powers the condenser mic. I wanted to get the Presonus TubePre for $129.99. Do I need a microphone preamplifier if I have 48v phantom power? If I do get the TubePre will it sound better? Will I need to turn off the 48v pp if I have the TubePre hooked up?:confused: I know it will give me a greater boost as far as decibels go, but will it really give me the "warm" sound that many tube preamps describe? Is the Presonus TubePre a good value for 129.99? They also have a combination deal on, I think, ZZ sounds that offers the TubePre and an MXL condenser mic for 139.99

personally I don't think that such cheap thing as Tubepre will add any tube warmth at all so if Audiobox satisfies all your needs then theres no point buying Tubepre ;)

An M-Audio DMP3 is noticeably better than the Tubepre and about the same cash (used anyway). If sound and/or resale value matters. Not a tube pre, but better if you want that transparent sound. An Art MPA Gold might be a better option TUBE wise. But quite a few more coins.

It sounds like you're confused as to what you have already. If you're getting the mic's signal to the PC, then you're already using a preamp. The 48v phantom power is what comes along with most preamps.

Ok.

Do you think that I have a mic tube preamp in my AudioBox USB? How about the ART Studio V3? It's the next step up from the ART MP supposedly. I'm going to The Guitar Center today to get Komplete 7 and a mic preamp. I am getting my sound to the computer with the Audio Technica AT2035 just fine. One of my friends has me convinced that I need a mic preamp to make the sound more professional. I am willing to spend $200.oo if this is true.

Back