424 vs 488

sackbutcharlie

I have been looking at the 424. But I am also curious about a used 488.

If I have a small cassette divided into 8 tracks instead of 4, don't I lose some quality? But if I can avoid bouncing by having 8 tracks, do I come out ahead with less noise?

I can find a used 488 for just about the price of a new 424. Any thoughts?

I have never used a cassette 8 track, but I have read here that the quality is good, comparing to their 4 track brothers, and also that the quality of a bounced four track signal won't match the 8 track's un-bounced signal in a head-to-head competition.

But I have the 424 mkIII, and a 464; I bounce four tracks (mix down to two) on the other machine regularly, to add vocals, or what have you, with good results. I don't think I have ever heard a song recorded on an 8 track cassette machine.

I should like to, so as to compare for myself. Consider this a challenge, of sorts.

If it's between bouncing on a 4-track cassette, and 8 raw tracks on cassette,...

get the 8 track, preferrably the 488mkII, in Portastudios, or the 238 for 8-in/8-out/8-simul recording on Syncaset,... (both Tascams).

Bouncing tracks always presents a compromise of one sort or another, and if you're thinking you'll always need to bounce to get more than 4 tracks, then start on the 8-track, and IMO you'll be better off.

Thanks for the advice. It is greatly appreciated.

My only recording experience was with open reel systems (I was blowing so I was never in the control room and did not know much more than how to play into the mic.).

So the cassette portastudios, while not new, are very new to me.

Thanks again!

Okay, how about these two options:

A 4-track open reel requiring bouncing vs. an 8-track cassette without bouncing?

P.S. thanks to everyone for all the great help here!

4-track open reel with bouncing wins, on that one,...

mostly because your 4-track open reel will be either 7.5ips or 15ips. That gives a dramatic increase in fidelity with higher tape speeds, when your cassette 8-track runs 3.75ips, max, which is lofi as compared to 7.5ips & 15ips.

PS, you'd improve that 4-track open reel performance with a 4-track dbx noise reduction unit, Tascam DX-4D, add-on dbx.

So Dave, (Reel) do you have any songs posted that were recorded on a 488mkII? I couldn't get anything at your Nowhere page, guess the server is down?

Ooh, sorry! I don't have any examples of recordings off the 488mkII.

I've only done test recordings & snipets of stuff on the 488mkII, but nothing complete, and nothing posted or post-worthy.

Last time I went on NWR, e'thing was okay, so if it was not accessible, then I'm sure it's just temporary.;)

Omitted fact, above,... because it's so obvious,...

is that the 4-track open reel recorder has 4X the track width of the cassette 8-track. It's so obvious, that I glossed over that fact, above. Wider track width will add to the sonic fidelity.

To digress a bit, in tutorial: In it's simplest sense, a higher tape speed will promote better high frequency response, and a wider track width will promote better headroom, that is, a boost in the net amount of raw magnetism that the tape can hold, per track in this case, but overall in general.

> Tape speed relates mostly to high frequency response,
> Tape width relates mostly to headroom.

More is usually better. Do the math.;)

Thanks for all the great help!

I have a lot to learn. Just today I was working out of town in Albany, NY and found a used Tascam 246 that works and was very cheap! It is in the trunk of my car right now.

This should give me something to learn on.

OMG, you just hit it right on! The 246 is the way to go, in cassette 4-trackers!!!

I think the 246 is the technical top value in used 4-trackers.

Next: The 388!
;)

Back