424 mkII

Hiccup Master

424 mkII and mixing on a computer

I was reading through a few threads about problems people have had with recording, mostly mixing problems.

My question is could I record each instrument on it's own tape, take it home and hook my portastudio up to my computer and turn all the analog tapes to digital tracks and mix them on my computer with like cakewalk or a simalar program?

I.E. Drums on tape 1
Bass on tape 2
Guitar on tape 3
lead vocals on tape 4
back up vocals on tape 5

Upload them onto my computer with the Line-Out RCA jacks with a Y spliter to a 1/8th jack to the Line In on my computer, turn them in to .wavs, and import them into a mixing program, mix each wav into 1 wav for a cd, and then into an mp3 to send to people over the internet?

Thanks in advance for the Feed back guys.

Last edited:
You should be able to do what you wish with transferring tracks to a computer but your sound card will limit how many simultaneous tracks you can move at any one time.

You can transfer as little as one track at a time if your sound card is limited but you will have issues trying to get everything synced up once on the computer.

Each program is different in terms of how you would offset or shift the track to sync to the next so, decide on the recording software and post that part of your question in the appropriate form on this site or site of your choosing.

Cheers! :)

I have done a bit of reading on the Cool Edit forum on this site and from what I have read, most users find it somewhat easy to get a grip on.

Cool Edit has been bought out by Adobe and on the Adobe website, there is a down-loadable trial version that is fully functional for at least 14 days. If you have a DSL or cable internet connection the download is fairly quick.

The program is now called Adobe Audition.

Give it a shot!:)

Cheers! :)

Back