424 mkII new user

blewzman

I just bought a mkII used. I got a great deal on it. I am a acoustic blues player. I have a 1/4 line out on my guitar, and a low out(mic plug), on my guitar. I have a EQ on my guitar. I have a Boss AD5 acoustic processor, a 58 microphone. I also have 2 pedals, a dod chorus for guitar, and a Ibanez tube screamer for overdrive. I travel 250 days a year. I need some help in getting started. I have about 6 songs I have written and want to record. I would like suggestions on how to hook up the above mentioned equipment to get the best sound on tape. I will not be mixing down, as I do not have a recorder yet. I just want to get the music on 4 track. Do you add effects before or after you record? How would I get the cleanest sound? Should I record in stereo out of the AD5 and use 2 tracks? Can I run the mike track thru the effects pedals I have to obtain reverb and additional depth to it? Any info would be great....I plan on locking myself in the room this weekend and learning how this thing works. I got the manual with it. I will be monitoring through headphones. thanks

The 424mkii is a good machine and will serve you well.

Add effects later in an effects loop (no tracks required)

Are you overdubbing?

Recording:
-Mic the acoustic guitar for best sound.
-but also record direct guitar->box->424mkII
- mix the two together for some sonic variety.

Experiment with various recording setups.

(To try and make a direct recording sound slightly better roll off the bass and 1.3 khz mid.)

Thanks SN. Are you related to SA?

I got home, read the manual, loaded a tape, and followed the instructions.

Not knowing, I ran the guitar through the AD5 and added effects and recorded it. I did everything through headphones.

I went back and added another track (overdubbed) right next to it. It was amazing how good it sounds. I am sure that will not sound as good in a week or two when I get some of this stuff figured out.

I noticed that the vocals (mic) really will need something later. They sound so flat, compared to the guitar tracks. I have not recorded the vocals yet, just monitored through the headphones.

I can see how this will soon become an obession and will drain every penny I have.

The rush I got hearing myself play, and it actually sounding good, is worth every penny I have spent so far. I did not realize that I could play lead over my own rythme tracks and it would sound so good. I also broke out my Melobar lap steel and added some fuzz and played along. It almost sounded like I knew what I was doing.

I will do some more tonite. I am going to try to record dry and add the effects later. I wonder how I will add effect to 2 and three tracks at a time? Do I need to bounce them as I add effects? Will it cause the sound to become less and less each time I bounce. I guess experience is the best teacher.

Try looking up the TASCAM 424 and other analog recording pages on this site and you can save yourself weeks of relearning!

Dragon, I read every work on this site before I ever bought the Tascam. You are the one who sold me on this unit. I found it on the net. Used very little. I paid $225 for it + shipping. It is like brand new. I as so glad I did not pay 450+ for a new MKIII. I am having a ball with this thing. I can easily see where the next $5000 of my life is going. Thanks. Love this site...

I'm not related to SA.

Dragon sold me on the 424mkII as well. (It's a long story but I had it replaced free of charge with the mkIII after a few weeks)

To add effects to separate tracks, no bouncing is required. Use the two effects send knobs for each tracks. If you have two separate effects boxes you can use them simultaneously and get a different "effect1/dry ; effect2/dry" balance for each track.

Before you bounce, try to use the auto punch in /punch out. Six instruments do not necessarily mean six tracks. Solo guitar and solo flute can be on the same track.

Are you using your Hi-fi VCR or computer to bounce tracks? Both are better than regular cassette. For archiving your masterpieces, a Hi-Fi VHS tape is excellent. If you have a CD-RW than that can be more convenient /long lasting.

I spent 1/2 the day Saturday and all day Sunday fooling around. I read the above mentioned items and just played around. My finger wore out on the guitar before I did. I then went back and bounced a few tracks fooling around. I moved tracks 1&2 over to 3&4. I made them sound stereo, by using the pan. I also ran them thru the effect(reverb) and got a pretty good sound. I then added the vocals on track 2. It took me about 10 tries to get a decent sound. It tended to clip, or distort very easily. I then ran it through the acoustic guitar processor, using the reverb and the "preamp" in the direct box, and by not getting to close to the mic I got a decent mix. I can tell that will be the hardest thing, getting decent vocals. Any suggestions would be great. I then added the lead guitar track on 1. I am very happy with my first attempt. I did not know that the three guitar parts and vocals could sound so good. I did make one mistake I guess. I turned off the dolby before I started recording and later read that it should be left on to record and play back. Any opinions??? I noticed that the guitar sounds better dry, and adding the effects later. Due to the fact I am not home, I do not have access to a cassette recorder or my hifi vcr. I have been taping music on my vcr for years. It is great to make a party tape on. 6 hours of all your favorite music. Just plug it in and forget it. I think you are telling me you can put tracks on the vcr and use them later when you mixdown to cassette. Increasing the number of tracks when you mix??? correct? I really appreciate all the help. I will get this figured out sooner or later, then look out. I have also found, and I know all of you will back me up, it will certianly make you a better musician, because all you mistakes and poor timing are magnified. I really had to concentrate to do the most basic of tracks so it did not sound sloppy. I am sure I will get better because of it...

Hey blewsman,

Glad you like the site...I'm amazed at what a deal you got! Analog ain't dead by any means, I bet all these cheap 424s floating around will mean a lot of great music in another 6 months, kind of like the rise in the birth rate 9 months after a blackout :)

SN gave you some very nice tips in a short amount of space...good compression, SN!!

And yes, keep the noise reduction (dBX, not Dolby, for the record) on at all times. The 1 track without it probably will sound OK in the mix.

Something about all your excitement is very catching...it would be great to jam with you! Anyway, good luck and keep having fun!

Back