414mk2 problem....

MichaelM

Hey guys.
I just got my old 414mk2 4 track back from my brother yesterday and there's a problem with channel 2. Whenever the record function switch is set to safe and you hit play there is a terrible loud humming noise. The channel fader has no effect on it! This is not a dirty head problem, and it makes no difference if there is no tape in the machine or not.

Anyone else had this problem? Any chance of me being able to fix it?

Is the hum still being produced with absolutely nothing plugged into the mixer to eliminate any outside source generating this hum?

If the hum disappears with nothing plugged in except a pair of headphones to check for hum, you might have a bad patch cord or external device that is cause a ground loop hum,

If the hum is still there with nothing plugged in then it is possible something in the channel got overloaded and damaged the circuitry inside the unit. If so, you should be able to obtain service by finding an authorized TASCAM service center in your area.

Odds are if just a capacitor or two got fried, it won't be a complex or expensive repair.

Follow this web-link to locate a service center if nessasary.

http://www.tascam.com/service_centers.php?nav=support

Cheers! :)

Yeah with nothing plugged in, and even no tape in, as soon as you hit play channel 2 just hums like crazy. I guess I'll have to get it checked out.

THanks.

Back