$400 - $800 vocal recommendations (Looking to upgrade my vocal mic)

Shiny Rhino

I'm looking to upgrade my studio's primary vocal mic and have started my list of mics to research/decide between. I don't NEED multipattern, as I would rather incorporate the $ into quality rather than spread it thin for this feature, however, I'm not opposed to a multi if it's the right mic. I've been looking at the sE 3300, which is multi. Here's what I'm thinking about, but would love anyone to throw out anything else they think I should be considering.

- sE 2200T
- sE 3300
- sE g3500
- sE 5600
- Kel HM-7U
- Studio Projects CS5

Cheers.

SM7B - $350 but it'll smoke a lot of condensors for most male vocals. Only draw back is that all I've found I like it on is male vocals, and guitar cabs (and I've heard kick, but haven't tried it). All of the LDCs I've had sounded good on some voices and some acoustics and some rooms etc. The SM7B really only sounds good on most male vocals, and most cabs.

MK319 - cheap and great too. Actually, you could be both of these mics and the mod for your budget...that's what I'd do.

If you want one awesome one for that money, I'm not help...I'm half Jewish so spending money isn't in my blood! But yeah, get the SM7B.

The M-Audio Sputnik is a great LDC for the price! You can get one for like $550 off of Amazon. It's multi-pattern (cardioid, figure-8, and omni) as well!

Shure sm7b is an amazing mic.. works very well for me...

Also the Nuemann TLM 102 works amazingly for me too!!!

Bands that use the shure sm7b as their primary.... Pearl Jam, The Used, Kings of Leon, The Killers, Manchester Orchestra.

Bands that use it along with other mics... Avenged Sevenfold, Michael Jackson, The Dear Hunter, Mumford and sons, Muse...

Things legit.

spend whats left of your budget on a nice preamp then something along the lines of a gap pre73 maybe.

I use just my motu 828 mk3 pre's. I have a VTB-1 too, but that just collects dust. Although, now that I think about it...I also have an Apogee One that collects dust too.

Going from memory, apogee one should be a great match for the sm7b.
Do you use a mac?
VTB-1 should have plenty of gain too from what I can see.

Iwould love anyone to throw out anything else they think I should be considering.
Maybe not expensive enough for you but this guy seems to get great results from an AKG 3000B

Rascal Flatts - I Won't Let Go - (COVER) By Drew Dawson Davis - YouTube

If you're determined to spend more then there's the Rode K2 that Lisa Lavie uses here. Also happens to be one of the most amazing vocal performances I've ever heard:

Beyonce - Halo (Lisa Lavie) - YouTube

The pre-Youtube'd originals certainly must sound even better.

Curious what mic do you have that you feel you need to upgrade from?

I have been getting by with a 1st gen. Studio Projects C1. While not a bad mic, it definitely has it's weaknesses. I've always ended up making it work, but sometimes it takes more work to get me there. It tends to be on the brittle side when I'm not digging it.

Maybe not expensive enough for you but this guy seems to get great results from an AKG 3000B

Rascal Flatts - I Won't Let Go - (COVER) By Drew Dawson Davis - YouTube

If you're determined to spend more then there's the Rode K2 that Lisa Lavie uses here. Also happens to be one of the most amazing vocal performances I've ever heard:

Beyonce - Halo (Lisa Lavie) - YouTube

The pre-Youtube'd originals certainly must sound even better.

Curious what mic do you have that you feel you need to upgrade from?

Rode K2 is a cool mic. I like the AT4050 alot. Both well within your price range.

Tempting.... I've always been interested in it.

I'm also looking at the blue dragonfly. Anyone use it on both male and female vocals?

Another Lisa Lavie session. I'm don't know what the mic is and whether it falls in the price range you specify but it she sounds amazing on it.

Je T'aime - Lara Fabian (Lisa Lavie) - YouTube

Apparently it's a Microtech UM900. Definitely outside the price range you specified. Definitely sounds great. Don't know that it sounds any better than much less expensive mics.

Last edited:
Back