4-track to digital conversion help! (newb)

broken_arrow

Hey guys. This is actually my first post on homerecording.com, though I have gathered a lot of good information from other peoples posts on this site.

I recently purchased a Teac 144 4-track recorder, in good shape! Well, I've recorded some stuff to tape, and now I want to re-record into Logic. I have an Mbox 2 mini, but have been having some trouble.

I bought an adapter at Radioshack (2 male RCA's to 1 male, balanced 1/4" TRS) and tried connecting the Teac to my computer via the Left and Right RCA tape outs to my mbox mini via the Line/DI. I created a stereo channel in Logic, however, I'm only receiving a mono signal.

I was wondering, do I actually need two separate male RCA to 1/4" male unbalanced cables to connect to the Left and the Right tape outs of the Teac into two independent line inputs on the mbox, and then create two mono channels to record them too? (and then later sum the two mono tracks to one stereo track)

Thanks in advance guys, any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Elliot

You need separate cables. What you're doing with that cable is summing two RCA outputs into a mono balanced input.

I'll second diggy's answer.

What you want is a stereo RCA-to-1/4" TS cable like this one:

415844.jpg

The RCAs come from your tape outputs, and the 1/4" jacks go to line inputs 1 and 2 on the Mbox. You should have a healthy output from the tape, and set the trims so that you're getting no hotter than -6dBfs peaks (or better -9) on your digital channel meters for best headroom. As for your Logic tracks, you can either set up two mono tracks panned hard left and hard right, or you can set up a stereo track set to receive your Mbox inputs 1 and 2.

Last edited:
hmmmm? I have a similar problem. I have a Yamaha MT50 4 Track. I just purchased a Citronic AC-1USB unit. I love the simplicity of the analogue and it is all I need. However I want to play my songs as interludes on my Blogtalkradio Show. I need to get them down on my laptop. I thought it would be easy,,, but,,,. If you are familiar with the MT50 and Citronic please tell me how to couple the 4 Track to the Citronic. Cheers. Ray

Back