4 Track Cassette Recorder

TripleJ

Hey guys,

I'm now the proud owner of a Yamaha MTX4 4 Track Cassette Recorder, and hand me down from a cousin who moved away.

Now I'm pretty damned familiar with most aspects of PC based recording but have never used a 4 track before. I think it would be good experience to play around with it and I want to see how it sounds anyway. My question however:

It doesn't come with any cassettes. Do I need special 4 track tapes to use with it or just normal ones that are everywhere? Do they need to be made out of a special material?

I hope someone can answer!

Cheers,
-Dan

Last edited:
i have the Tascam 4 track, I think it's an awesome little machine, at least for what I want... uses the type II cassettes, bought them at Guitar Center, cheap enough.. i don't have any regular type, otherwise I would try one.. i'll have to get one and give it a go...

Thanks for the digging up of the manual guys. I actually have the original manual right here.

Are those tapes still fairly common? How much do they tend to cost?

Does ANYBODY know where to find Type 2 cassettes in Australia? Nowhere in my entire state has them. I drove around for many hours searching.

None online that I can see, and none of eBay.

JJJ,
60 min chrome/type II tapes are a prob in Australia. I hung around eBay until I was able to score some - they can be had from the US but the cost of postage will be greater than the cost of the tapes..
60min is the max size for quality.
You'll need to clean the heads, capstans & most of the thing AND demag the heads (with out making contact) before you start. A calibration tape would help too.
4 track is fun & can be used WITH your PC. I use my Yammi MT100 & then upload to the PC.
Check you PMs (private messages). I'm on the east coast mate.

CR 02 tapes are getting hard to find, even in the USA. High bias tapes will work almost as well and wont harm your machine. Just keep the heads clean and always use the highest tape speed. Bouncing tracks takes a little practice so play with that feature on something you don't mind messing up before you try it on anything serious. Once you get some decent tracks on tape they are easy to upload to a pc (if you want to) but you may need to spend a little time aligning the tracks. 4 track tape can be fun, I have a MT 120 and use it mostly when writing and for recording in remote locations, its a lot easier to haul around than my pc.

Back