4 string bass EADG to BEAD.

Mr. Kristopher

Today I altered my Ibanez bass from being tuned EADG to BEAD. Now I can't get my E string to intonate right. Could this be solved with new strings? A new bridge? How do I find a new bridge online? Musician's Friend doesn't sell them. Can this whole procedure be accomplished realistically?

Mr. Kristopher said:
Today I altered my Ibanez bass from being tuned EADG to BEAD...

Do you mean you re-tuned it to this? My first question is why? Never mind. Did you change string guages or brands? I am assuming that you tuned all of the strings down to their respective notes, thus dramatically decreasing the tension on the neck. If this is the case, you might need to have the Bass set up (truss adjsutment etc) to play in tune at the reduced tension. (The same if you were to simply change string guages while using standard 440 tunning). If you are refering to the intonation being that the guitar wont play in tune, it sounds like you need a truss adjustment and not so mich to fiddle with the saddle (or intonation) adjustment. Additionally, if it solely the E String, it could be that it is too slack and easily bent out of tune when you fret it. Try a larger guage string to increase the tension so that it can obtain more of a pitch at the D (instead of a loose noodle). You might have to get the nut adjusted to accompany the wider guage. Or you can tune it back up to 440 and play it that way again =)

Good Luck,

Fangar

The only way I can see it could be solved is to try tuning it to
EADG.
Basiclly that's what the guit is made to be tuned to or right in that area.
Either your up or down half an octave. Of course something is not going to sound right.

Tuning down changes everything. If you're going to keep it tuned down, take it to a tech and have him set it up for it. I have a Fender P bass set up to be tuned down and a Rickenbacker that I keep at pitch. Now the Rick didn't like being detuned AT ALL.

Re: Re: 4 string bass EADG to BEAD.

Fangar said:

Do you mean you re-tuned it to this? My first question is why? Never mind. Did you change string guages or brands?

Ah, yes, sorry I didn't mention it at the beginning. I used a B from a five string set and the rest from the original bass, just moved over one slot. So all of the strings are set to the correct tension. I had to file the nut slots a little to do this but I'm not worried about screwing up this bass, I have a 4-string Stingray as my main one. I do admit that none of the strings are new. Does this matter? Can a new bridge fix the problem? I had problems with this bridge before I did this, like when I adjusted the intonation for the bottom string the action for that string would change alot (and not in any normal way) and also one of the screws is stripped. So I've wanted to get a new bridge anyway. What do you guys think? :confused:

Now I see why I was confused. When you describe a tunning, you usually start with the 1st string (Not the top one, but the bottom as you hold the insturment). That is why the tuning did not make any sense. So you are as follows:
X---B (Added a Thicker string from 5 string set)

If that is correct, then the tension on the neck will be increased as you have reaised the pitch of each of the lower strings a bit and added a heavy B string. Sounds like you will need to get it set up with a little tighther truss rod adjustment. The intonation on the new B string will be silly if you have changed to the point at the nut where the string clears it. This could possibly change the distance to the bridge thus affecting your intonation slightly. Most likely not though.

Fangar

Fangar and the others are correct in that you should perform a truss rod adjustment whenever you change string gauges or tuning. Perform it yourself if you know how, or have a tech do it. I prefer doing this stuff myself because most techs are idiots who only think they know how to set up a guitar. Many actually have no f**king clue (at least based on the last two experiences I had with techs).

Here's a good link for bass set up:

http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/basssetup.html

Regarding Fangar's comment on notating tuning on a bass, I'm not too sure where he's coming from. Every musician I've known notates the lowest string in pitch first, up to the highest string in pitch. Thus, a standard tuning is notated EADG. Maybe that's what he's trying to say.

Matt

Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I said that. Anyway I think I was confused at the whole idea a first, then it made a little sense when I read it about 4 times. Thnx

Fangar

ALWAYS have the guitar setup for odd tunings. When I was playing live, my P bass was set to "D", fretless rick "Eb" and the Rich in normal "E-A-D-G". the tension issue is huge if you want the intonation to be consistant.

RE: Old strings an issue?

Yes dead strings will NOT intonate. Ideally they should not be brand new either as you want them fully streched out. If you intonate without streching them the strings will strch later and the intonation will be off again.

Scott.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll get new strings see what happens. I can do a decent job of setting it up (tweaking the truss rod, setting the action, etc.), I just didn't know that old strings would matter so much. Hopefully it'll be solved after a new set of strings.

I didn't know what you were doing either.
Now I see.
Glad to see everythings turning out fine.
Good luck.

Yeah. New strings make such a DRASTIC difference. It will be like playing a new bass.

Best-o-luck!

Back