4 outputs and nowher to go....

Sigma9

Ok I know its an old module but it still has some awesome kick to it or an I dreaming? Its an Alesis D4 16 bit sample rate drum module. The more I listen to the new Keybords out there today the more I wonder why I still use the D4... Should I scrap it and get something better, What then? Or is there a way to get that killer rock kit sound again from the old horse?

My problem with the Alesis drum modules, has always been that they have a boatload of almost useless sounds in them.
AQ few of the kicks will work okay IF you process them, and some of the snares are okay, and a somewhat realistic snare sound can be achieved if you gate, compress, EQ and add some reverb to it.

The Tom and cymbal sounds are useless in my estimation...the hi-hats are okay, but the crashes and rides just plain stink.

Now, my question is this:

WHAT are you using this unit for?

Are you a Key player using it for drumsounds (i.e., MIDI)?

Are you a drummer triggering?

Take a look at the V-drums sound modules.
The bottom of the line goes for about $450 and it kicks, OR if you are programming, get a sampler. I sold my Akai S-2000 s/e (studio Edition with 32 megs of RAM, 8 Outputs, and effects cards built in) for $450, and it had never left my home studio...I just never used it.
I'm a drummer, and my original intention was to trigger sounds from it from my kit using a n Alesis DM5, but the Alesis trigger to Midi interface is the slowest one available, making it literally useless for my purpose of live triggering.

If you are only using it to fire off the sounds contained WITHIN the Alesis units, the TMI is fine, but send it to an external unit and it's so freaking slow it isn't funny.

So, figure out what your budget is then look around because the Alesis stuff is almost "pre-historic", considering what is available these days.

Tim

hello

Yes, im only using the D4 as a Midi slave. Like you say, there only a handful of sounds I like in there anymore and they are getting thinner to me every day. I have bought a Korg Karma and that comes with several types of "kits", I might start using that for my drum sounds. Thanks for your recomendations though, Ill check that units out at my local music store.

I still use my D4 for alot of stuff (although I do use my Roland TD10 alot also). Many times I'll take a kick sound from one unit and a snare froon a different unit, etc.)

I think the D4 have a few very decent snare and kick sounds. Some useable hi-hats and crashes (if you keep them low enough in the mix. I've never much liked most of the toms.

I think the D4 is a classic - and I would never get rid of mine.

Back