4 Mics, 2 Stands

Dexter411

Hi everyone,

Well, I got my own home recording gear (VF80! :)) a few days back and I'm trying to find the best way to mic my drums. I have 4 dynamic mics (1 SM57, 1 PG5? [snare/tom mic], 1 AT Pro25, and 1 PG57 [sorta like the 57 but cheaper and with a bigger grille]). I also have 1 boom stand and 1 non/boom tripod stand. I was wondering if you could all give me some ideas of how I can get the best sound of what I have. I've tried overheads, and miking weird ways but it sounds sorta off. I route all 4 of these to a Behringer MX602A so, if any of you have experience with the mic placements you suggest, try to give me an idea of what I would have to boost/roll off to get the most of the setup.

Thanks again, you guys definitely are the best Home Recording BBS I've ever stumbled onto.

mics

Really the cheap way out is to find the deals on mic stands, musicians friend just had a special on, i think they were under 20 for cheap boom stands. Its hard to beat an actual set of drum mics, clips are available to mount on hardware. If you have to go with what you have be inventive, Laundry clips on the cord wrapped around an old broken light stand etc....

I got a pair of the very cheap boom stands from Musicians Friend, and they were very cheap indeed. Sent 'em back. Then I went to Sam Ash and got a pair of inexpensive Groove Percussion booms that were much better. They cost around $25 each...

Back