4 mic preamp USB interface options?

I've found this discussion very interesting as this evening my PCI Audio card (INCA 8I/O + Breakout box) decided to roll over & die whilst I was relocating my computer. It's an old card but was a goodun'.
I'll have to replace it with something & have looked up all that's been mentioned & sussed out what is in my price range.
Obviously I can't get 8 I/O for less than $500 and even then the manufacturers play games with the INs count (SPDF & Midi are counted as ins for quite a few units).
I was also concerned about the USB powered ints. I don't know why buut relying on USB to carry signal back & forth as well as run the power side of things too made me feel a little uncomfortable. I know USB2 is MUCH better than USB1 but it worried me.
I think I've narrowed it down to what is available in Australia & to my price point.

USB 1.0 is generally considered inadequate for multi-track (>2) recording.

Bus power is limited by the USB specification, and will rarely be adequate to power more than a couple of mic preamps. If you expect to use multiple preamps, you will not be using the USB bus supplied power. I wouldn't let that be a factor, but read the specs carefully to understand what the interface is capable of doing when only running on bus power. If you are plugged in to a USB 2.0 port, there's power supplied - otherwise it couldn't say USB 2.0. (FireWire also supplies power, FWIW.)

The way the manufacturers count I/O capability is nothing less than deceptive. Just count physical jacks, preamps, and read the spec sheet.

Why just USB? HWy not fire wire? The Focusrite Saffire 40 is $300 less than the Motu 828 and it has more Mic Pre Amps. The Tascam mj stated is a good buy as well.

I've found this discussion very interesting as this evening my PCI Audio card (INCA 8I/O + Breakout box) decided to roll over & die whilst I was relocating my computer. It's an old card but was a goodun'.
I'll have to replace it with something & have looked up all that's been mentioned & sussed out what is in my price range.
Obviously I can't get 8 I/O for less than $500 and even then the manufacturers play games with the INs count (SPDF & Midi are counted as ins for quite a few units).
I was also concerned about the USB powered ints. I don't know why buut relying on USB to carry signal back & forth as well as run the power side of things too made me feel a little uncomfortable. I know USB2 is MUCH better than USB1 but it worried me.
I think I've narrowed it down to what is available in Australia & to my price point.

You could get a Firewire Interface with 8 Mic Pre Amps for right at $500
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 | Sweetwater.com

Yeah, with an i7 2600, 8GB RAM, and 5 little tweaks of the setup of the OS, you should be able to do the same that I can do.

One of my latest projects consists of 47 tracks. 2 of them with Amplitude inserted. Two synth VSTi's and SS Trigger on 6 drum tracks. Each of 10 group channels have a Waves API 2500 compressor, PSP NobleQex and many others. Two delay FX tracks, A doubler FX track, and pitch correction running on 5 vocal tracks. I have 3 heavy hogging IR reverbs running at once as well as EQ, comp, and limiter on the output bus.

With all of this running, I just re-tracked vocals, monitoring from DAW output, with less than noticeable latency, and no lag (clicks and pop crap).

I don't see any need for DSP effects if you are going with PC balls. IMO, pick one for preamp quality and stability. Not for any fancy crap, Mr. Armistice.

:D
You sure can learn alot from this guy "keep him tagged for whenever he post". He jimmy I love the NobleQ's

Jimmy/mj why the use of tascam is it just a sound your used to mixing from? Im assuming you guys have a ton of exp and I guess low end products dont effect yalls ability to produce a good product. I mean just from reading yall's post on here yall sound really knowledgeable.

The thing I liked about my INCA was it had 8 physical INs (only 2 with pres) as part of the break out box & 8 physical OUTs (2 of which were set up to each recognised and run stereo headphones when inserted) so I could do quite a lot with it.
As it was PCI based it was pretty good on the latency issue too.
I'm now limited to USB2 as my comp doesn't have firewire connections. I concentrated on supporting the gear I had.
Reading specs - and counting physical holes too.
At least one brand counts rerouting outs as ins.
To the best of my cross referencing those claiming 8 IN usually mean two mic pres at front & two line/HiZ at back whilst outs include four rerouters (which inturn include lines to the monitor). ALL include MIDI as both I & O & I think they claim it as stereo so get a pair each way.
Such fun.
Jaynm26, despite our dollar being higher than the $US we pay MUCH much more for this sort of gear. Add at least 33% on US & Eurpopean prices. Funny since most of this gear is made in China & we're actually closer to them on the shipping routes - we ought to be paying less.

Ray - you know Allans are in liquidation? They're having a fire sale at the moment... one in the city and one in Alexandria and then there's the Billy Hyde on the corner of Parramatta Road just down past the Annandale... frankly they don't have much by way of studio stuff in the city but I don't know about the place in Alexandria, and Billy Hyde's also used to have some stuff. Also don't know how much longer they'll all be there... could be worth an enquiry!

You sure can learn alot from this guy "keep him tagged for whenever he post". He jimmy I love the NobleQ's

Yep, NobleQ is my favorite EQ, hands down.

As far as the Tascam, it is just a worthy product (speaking mostly of US1641 and US1800, which is basically the same with external power supply and looks cooler), with quite clean 60db preamps and more bang for the buck than any at it's price point. 10 preamps, two HighZ instrument ins, and a total of 16 possible tracks to DAW for under $300. Score. Almost everything I have posted on my website has been recorded with the Tascam. It just works well.

As far as firewire interfaces are concerned, firewire is being phased out, so a new computer will likely not have the ability to use one. You could always buy a PCI TI chipset firewire card, but not really necessary when USB 2.0 can handle 16 tracks with ease. Mind, that USB 2.0 interfaces do not like sharing a port controller with another streaming device. Like an external HD. I use USB 3.0 port for my interface (it is backward compatable-usually), and the multiple USB 2.0 ports for everything else. If I use the 2.0 port with the external drive and interface, crackles and other annoying crap ensues.

I'm afraid of tascam. I know I'm shallow I'm afraid of non high end gear. Jimmy teach me your ways. :)

Does the sound of the name make you unhappy somehow? lol!

There are good and bad of everything. I am happy, and have good results with the Tascam interface I, and many others use regularly. There are others made by Tascam that I am not fond of, though the price of any interface, can give you an approximation, as to what you are getting. However, in the case of the 1641/1800 that I am familiar with, it seems to give the best results for little money. I am not afraid..

You could actually have a USB 3 mouse going there Jimmy... go to the next level with your clicking.

I'm trying to work out with my new machine whether there are 3 separate USB buses or 2. It has 10 USB ports. 4 x USB 3 on the back, 2 x USB 2 on the back and 4 x USB 2 on the front. As it also has two PS/2 connections so I'm trying to hunt down some PS/2 USB adapters, seeing all keyboards and mice seem to come as USB these days, and get those off the USB. At the moment they're in the 2 x USB 2 at the back.

And I still don't have an interface!

I read, I researched, I scrapped my pockets then ordered & paid for the Scarlett 8i6.
15 minutes later my PCI card came good again.
One man's non high end gear is another dreamed for acquisition.
Great gear is good, adequate gear is what you have & work with.
I've heard GREAT results on quite modest equipment around the MP3 clinic and other parts of HR.

You could actually have a USB 3 mouse going there Jimmy... go to the next level with your clicking.

I'm trying to work out with my new machine whether there are 3 separate USB buses or 2. It has 10 USB ports. 4 x USB 3 on the back, 2 x USB 2 on the back and 4 x USB 2 on the front. As it also has two PS/2 connections so I'm trying to hunt down some PS/2 USB adapters, seeing all keyboards and mice seem to come as USB these days, and get those off the USB. At the moment they're in the 2 x USB 2 at the back.

And I still don't have an interface!

Super fast mouse! lol!

USB 1.0 is fast enough for a mouse and keyboard. It (USB2.0) only becomes an issue when multitracking. From my experience, a USB2.0 interface has serious issues when the controller is shared with another streaming device like an external drive. Mousey and keyboard are not of issue. Just connecting a USB interface via a USB3.0 port is enough to remedy the situation. I had an old Dell, that only had one USB2.0 controller. The interface would looze connection with an external audio drive. So I added a PCIe USB 3.0 card. All was well.

This would not be an issue if your audio drive is internal.

And yes, I used 'looze' in a sentence. I should be flogged! :)

I spent a very long time researching USB recording interfaces and settled on the RME UFX unit which has 12 analog inputs and many digital inputs as well as 2 midi inputs for external gear, and I find it stable and the sound is good. The pre-amps sound musical also. It is pricey at around $2,300 but it has been worth it so far.

I spent a very long time researching USB recording interfaces and settled on the RME UFX unit which has 12 analog inputs and many digital inputs as well as 2 midi inputs for external gear, and I find it stable and the sound is good. The pre-amps sound musical also. It is pricey at around $2,300 but it has been worth it so far.

Holy crap man! Did you win the lottery? :)

Jimmy, I'm seriously looking at the RME Firefall UC - I've spent a long time researching as well, and I can find lots of negative commentary on every interface there is out there until you start getting to this level. Lots of positives too of course. I was thinking MOTU 828 Mk3 but it has so much bad press for drivers, mainly 4 years ago when it was released, but some still current.

I look at it this way - I don't need any more guitars, but if I did, the ones I'd be looking at are from 50% to 200% more than a RME Fireface UC, so in the scheme of things, I don't think it's that much. And I started saving pennies years ago knowing my machine days were drawing to a close so I have the $ ready and waiting...

So I'm not seeing Russ56's (hi Russ!) purchase as overly extravagant.

How's the Mix This thing coming... everyone's gone silent!

I hear you there man. I may soon upgrade my interface to a more professional level myself.

Well, I just heard that the thread was closed. I am not sure what is going on there. It may be that the new forum is being created. :)

Back