4-Cond vs 2- Cond Mic Cable - RF Interference?

teetopkram

Greetings everyome -

Thanks to the excellent advice I have received here, I am embarking on making my first mic cable. It's a 30' cable (running from my recording room to my control room). It will be connecting to a AT 3030.

I have decided on using Neutrik gold plated XLR connectors. I'll probably go with Canare cable since there doesn't seem to be consensus that Mogami is that much better. However, I am undecided on whether to use 4 conductor vs. 2 conductor cable, and even after reading about noise and possible RF interference.

How does one determine whether noise and/or RF interference is a problem? I have wireless internet (802.11g) throughout the house, in addition to a TV with rabbit ears in the control room (i.e., my home office). Are these sources of RF interference that I should be worried about?

Also, although my mic/sound room is isolated, oddly shaped, and echoless, I am recording into a Powerbook G4 Titanium, which are noted for their noisy fans...will this be enough noise to worry about so that a 4 conductor is required?

I guess the safest best would be to go with 4-conductor, but I seem to read that there may be drawbacks in higher frequency capturing with higher capacitance and possible phasing issues. For a 30' run, is this something to really get worked up about? Will the 2 conductor provide a better recording?

BTW, this cable will be strictly for recording, I don't plan on gigging anytime soon (too old and scared, like Abe Simpson).

Thanks for the help.

Mark

2 conductor cable should be fine. I would be more concerned if it's foil or braided shielding. Go for the braided.

I'm with Hangdawg.

I look at quad cable as a solution to a problem. If you have an RF/EMI problem, quad cable can be part of the solution. If you already have regular cables, and don't have a problem, it isn't really necessary. I do a lot of live sound, and haven't had a problem, even in pretty RF-rich environments. It is used a lot in critical apps, like TV and radio studios.

Quad is more expensive, heavier, thicker, and less flexible. In the length you are talking about, I think it would be hard to tell the difference in sound.

None of that stopped me from making four just for live vocals, as it just made me feel good. :p I still use them, but tell myself I'm being silly just about every time.

You could get a small length, make one, and see if it makes a difference in your situation.

Back