4 bus mixer and Delta 44

hardtraveler66

OK...I am not dumb...well...not completely... I have some knowledge of electronics, couple college degrees and musical equipment, but I just bought a 4 bus mixer and Delta 44 card. I also have a bunch of balanced cables, some other stuff laying around. How the hell do I hook all this stuff up! :eek:

I have been reading on the internet, some books, all the manuals...and I can't quite figure this out. I have a Yamaha MG12/4 mixer. I would like to hook this together in the best general configuration available with what I have. If needed, I can buy more stuff (money grows on trees, right? :D )

I would like to have 4 mics available to record at the same time, hook up my CD player (phono plugs) also...I am hoping I can record separated tracks from the inputs and then mix them using the hardware mixer. I am sure this is a basic question. If some kind soul would hold my hand and walk me thru this (or point to me to a good resource that is in 3rd grade english) , I will make a nice diagram and post it on the internet so no one will have to explain this again! (download this diagram)!

Forever greatful to those who respond! :p

hardtraveler

Mics will plug into individual mixer channels (obviously you know that).
Use the "Channel Insert" on each mixer channel to get your output to the soundcard.
Basically, a mixer is designed to "mix" the signals from each channel. If you want to use each channel individually you need to cheat just a little but. On the insert of each channel, you would plug a standard (instrument - 2 connector) cable into the insert jack until only 1 click engages. (it will not fully seat). The insert is typically used for a 3 connector (tip/ring/sleeve) cable and would serve as both an output and input for inserting an effect through the channel, but using only the first connector will provide only an output from the channel.
I noticed you have a 4 bus mixer. An alternative would be to route each channel through it's own bus on the mixer and use the individual bus outputs into your soundcard, but using the channel insert would bring it out right after the pre-amp instead of travelling all the way through the mixer.

Back