3d mixing

deejaytrixx

Besides reverb and eq, what else do you guys do to get a real noticeable separation bet. front/back and left/right?

Intentionally combine close' (forward sounding) elements with others with mics set back some. A little bit of space, or a lot on some. Early reflections = depth (the kind that doesn't need or mean 'reverb. It also breaks up and/or reduces that close-mic constant low low-mid buildup that has to be 'fixed otherwise.

Nothing can beat a good clock source and converters for sharply defining location, IMHO. When you have that, you don't really need much beyond pan, EQ and verb, IMHO.

But if you want to play around with quasi-3D stuff without spending a few grand to tighten up your source tracks first, this plug can be kinda neat: http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/. Some of the very fanciest effects really only work best in headphones, but you can achieve some nice results with this if you treat it with respect.

G.

Nothing can beat a good clock source and converters for sharply defining location, IMHO. When you have that, you don't really need much beyond pan, EQ and verb, IMHO.

But if you want to play around with quasi-3D stuff without spending a few grand to tighten up your source tracks first, this plug can be kinda neat: http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/panorama/. Some of the very fanciest effects really only work best in headphones, but you can achieve some nice results with this if you treat it with respect.

G.
I've heard this plug-in in action..pretty nice tool to have in the arsenal. Seems to be a DSP hog to use on multiple tracks though. But its worth a shot..thanks.

Mixst
That's also great advice..thanks

[T]reat it with respect.

G.

I haven't been using this board much lately, and when I do I invariably send Glen rep. I don't do this because I have some need to brown nose, it's because he knows how to get the job done. The above-quoted sentiment should be the golden rule for plug-ins.

Edit: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to SouthSIDE Glen again."

except for the times I'm trying to listen to the entire mix that is
You still get to hear the entire mix with all effects in place. All locking/freezing does is to create a temporary pre-rendered copy of the locked/frozen track so that when you play back the CPU doesn't have to render the plugs and effects in real time. Nothing is hurt because when you un-lock, you go back to the un-rendered verson of the track with real-time effects just like you had before.

The whole idea is that you are minimizing CPU workload without losing anything else whatsoever.

It's also a great way to make sure you don't accidentally edit the wrong track in the middle of a track sheet - something we all have accidentally done at least once in our lives. By leaving only the two or three tracks you are currently working on unlocked, you can't accidentally perform an edit on one of the other tracks until you unlock them.

G.

You still get to hear the entire mix with all effects in place. All locking/freezing does is to create a temporary pre-rendered copy of the locked/frozen track so that when you play back the CPU doesn't have to render the plugs and effects in real time. Nothing is hurt because when you un-lock, you go back to the un-rendered verson of the track with real-time effects just like you had before.

The whole idea is that you are minimizing CPU workload without losing anything else whatsoever.

It's also a great way to make sure you don't accidentally edit the wrong track in the middle of a track sheet - something we all have accidentally done at least once in our lives. By leaving only the two or three tracks you are currently working on unlocked, you can't accidentally perform an edit on one of the other tracks until you unlock them.

G.

This is a good tip, unfortunately, freezing/locking tracks in PT is a pain in the ass for very large sessions on LE. It's probably easier just to record your tracks to an Aux and then make the tracks in question inactive...Unless of course you have a nice HD system back at the real lab to work with

Back