3am Amd Mobo Madness

CounterToAttack

"im getting the fear.... i gotta get outa this town before i kill someone"

Ive spent the last 3 hours going through search results on Asus, amd, motherboards, abit cha..cha..cha and im about to go fruity pops. here it is the impericle VIA chipset and a guy at M-audio who wont email me back on the subject. On my budget it seems unavoidable to get a motherboard without the Via chipset for an AMD processor. And no, i cant afford the ASUS A7M266. And I cant turn to Pentium 3 cause its simply too expensive a route.

So logically i need to get from (a) AMD athlon processor to (c) Omni studio without going "VIA" (b) aN EViL RaGE ToWaRDS MY MoTHeRBoARD AHHHHHHHHHHHH

can any one help ? This Motherboard is like a thorn in my side.

RiCHaRD

Ooooo OOOO WHat about this that i just found

http://www.asus.com/products/motherboard/socketa/a7a266/index.html

ASUS A7A266 - it supports athlons to 1.2Ghz+
supports sdram and ddr sdram
and the Chipset is: ALi M1647 North Bridge and ALi M1535D+ South Bridge

Please someone tell me it isnt a hoax. it is £30 more expensive at first glance which im sure wont kill me.

anyone got any good or bad things about it, im not doing another search at 3.30am

arrrrr.. im going to bed

R - sorry for the mess

If money is an issue and you want a great mobo that is stable and can be overclocked quite successfully, check out the Iwill kk266.
Its the one the roll-your-own-guys recommend. You can find it at pricewatch.com and there is a review of it www.anandtech.com as well as the methods to unlock your Athlon to achive faster speeds.
Peace,
Paul

DId you read the anandtech review? They overclocked the bus speed to I think 161mhz, stable. The kk266 will do you fine for the money. In fact, I doubt theres much you can get thats very much better, really, especially for $100. Learn how to unlock the CPU and speed up the bus and you'll have a zooming ass little board. I'd be safe and clock it to about 150mhz for a nice little performance boost. Don't drive yourself nuts over it, I do the same thing. ORder the board and start killing yourself over preamps, like me ;)
Peace,
Paul

Editing in... the AMD 1.4ghz athlons are about $105 right now! And decent pc150 memory can be had for about $60 for 256mb!
So for your MB, processor and memory, you are only out about $270. Thats awesome for that kind of performance. Get a good ata 100 HD and a good video card and you're in business, probably less than $550, with a case and 300watt PS and it'll probably outperform what you would spend $1200 on at circuit city, especially when you tweak the bus speeds.

woe is life...

it has a VIA chipset = compatability issues with Omni studio.

other options = ALi or SiS

the rest of my setup is pritty much sorted, and comes to around £200.

RiCHARD

Back