388 dbx help!!!

cracklin'

I am currently finishing up a bunch of songs for an album. Most of the music was recorded in various studios (using 24 and 16 track 2" machines). All the tracks were dumped into pro tools ($$$ saving). I ran out of funds and I'm going to finish recording on my own (something I should've done from the beginning...but studio bashing is a whole other topic). I need to record vocals on all the tracks. My plan is to transfer the stereo instrumental tracks onto my trusty 388...to tracks 7 and 8. I would then use the remaining tracks for vocals and ect... And then mixdown back into pro tools for budget mastering and ect...

My question: would it make sense to use the dbx function while recording the stereo tracks onto the machine? what are the pros/cons? I want the recordings to have some grit...i love it ya know. but i don't want to pack the instrumental tracks with hiss. will i notice the difference between using dbx or not?
The only reason I ask...is that I NEVER use the dbx while recording tracks with my 388 (it doesn't suit my sound...I just don't like it) and I can definately hear a difference. I will be recording the vocals w/out dbx.
any help would be awesome!

I NEVER use the dbx while recording tracks with my 388 (it doesn't suit my sound...I just don't like it) and I can definately hear a difference.

Well, you see, you kinda answered your own question there.

Ok, so you have decided to run the vocals without dbx and are asking about the stereo instrumentals. If I were in your shoes I'd do a brief, rough test recording, with and without dbx, play it on headphones, home speakers, car stereo etc, see which version I like best and go with it for my "official" tracking. While it is generally recommended to use dbx on narrow track machines, such as your 388, it is just a recommendation and while it [dbx] is very useful, it's not written in stone that you "have to" use it. If you're not pleased with the dbx sound then who's to argue with you? You and you alone, have to be happy with the end result and thus it is only you who can answer that question.;)

Last edited:
What Daniel said, plus…

If you haven’t done it already you should have your 388 DBX circuitry calibrated. When the 388 was new its DBX NR had a good rep. The 388 is unique in that TASCAM did some work with dbx specifically for that unit. Normally dbx recommends a minimum of 15 ips for Type I. The 388 runs at 7.5 ips. Consequently the tolerances are very tight and a 20-year-old 388 is likely to need the NR tweaked back into spec.

On the other hand some people don’t care for DBX or any NR for that matter. Personally, I like what DBX I and II do for narrow tracks, on both cassette and open-reel. However, a narrow track machine running DBX can be a good candidate for an enhancer, such as the Aphex Aural Exciter, BBE Sonic Maximizer, or Alesis Micro Enhancer. If it’s not a pumping/breathing issue an enhancer can improve the sound for those that feel DBX makes things too dark.

I prefer the older BBE, like the Model 422, and the Alesis Micro Enhancer.

IMO, DBX is not transparent on narrow tracks, but I like what it does. Because it virtually eliminates all hiss some people interpret the dead silence as a lack of airiness. You may find that DBX in combination with an enhancer will give you the best of both worlds. With the low cost of the BBE and Alesis on the eBay market it’s worth a try. In your situation I would put the enhancer between the 388 stereo outs and the mixdown device… Pro Tools or whatever.

Back in the day the BBE and Alesis Micro Enhancer were secret weapons in my home studio. People would say, “How the hell can you get all that sound from a 246 portastudio?” Heh, there was some talent involved of course, ;) but part of it was definitely judicious use of the enhancers on mixdown.

One other note about DBX on low-speed narrow tracks. 0 VU is the line of death for clean sound. You have to treat it a bit like digital when it comes to pushing levels… meaning you can’t push levels… and play close attention to the peak LEDs. They should only be blinking occasionally.

:)

Last edited:
Record to tracks 1 and 2 with DBX, and to tracks 7 and 8 without DBX, simultaneously (by splitting/rerouting the signal).

At this point, you'll have 4 tracks to work with, using DBX or not for your vocals. You may find you may like the sound with DBX on some softer tracks to increase your dynamic range, I don't know.

I never objected to the sound of the DBX on my 388, and thought it made quite a difference, even in just the perceived "fatness" of the sound.

-MD

Back