38 Users - Anyone track with the pitch control maxed out?

ckswartwood

I was just surfing the forum and thought to myself, that if I use the pitch control on my Tascam 38 and turn it all the way up (+12 I think?) when i am tracking that theoretically I should get better S/N ratio? The question is, woud the quality increase be enough to justify the extra work on the capsan motor. Anyone done this?

Let me know what you guys think!

No not at all. It takes much more significant speed increase than what you'll get with a pitch control to make a measurable or audible difference. Best use that function as designed. And it can be very handy to adjust to instrument tunings such as acoustic piano and for vocalists who are singing just a bit beyond their range. Back the speed down as little as you have to get the vocalist within his realistic range. Then speed back up to normal speed, and voila! Your singer has just hit notes he really can't hit... and sound completely natural if not to extreme... lot better than auto tune. There are lots tricks you can do with tape pitch control, for effect and to fix a multitude of tuning problems.

You pretty much have to double tape speed before you will realize benefits. Impacting S/N, distortion, wow & flutter, etc. So don’t trouble yourself with 2 to 3 ips more speed. For all practical purposes it does nothing for you. ;)

Very cool tips! Thanks a lot for letting me know! Maybe in the spirit of the holidays i'll try a rendition of the Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas tune! :)

Back