Phil G

Is the 3630 comressor really as bad as is made out here. Having just got into home recording, I went on some information I found around the internet and ordered one (which should come tomorrow) thinking I was getting a decent peice of kit. I then found this site and the indications are that I have bought a piece of junk. I'm obviously not very happy.

My opinion of the 3630 is that it is a Grade
b compressor. It could be useful for some applications 1 mite need for it,however it is not all that great a compressor. It is decent for de-essing and clip-limiting and at the bargain basement street price (last I seen $115.00).Check the "search" function on this BBS for other opinions as well.

Hi Phil,

I bought the 3630 compressor along with a lot of my other studio equipment last year. I bought a Yamaha MD8, Rode NT1 Condenser Mic, Shure SM57 mic, Tannoy Revolution R1 speakers for monitoring and the Alesis 3630. I'm really happy with everything that I've bought including the compressor.

The guy that I bought all this stuff from (HiTek in Northcote, Melbourne Australia) was really helpful and gave me a lot of his time and patience in helping me choose the equipment to suit my needs and experience. I don't believe that he would have steered me wrong on the compressor when everything else was spot on. Like everything else, it's just a matter of playing with it extensively and learning to use it for what it's good for in your particular application.

I'm not saying I'll never change mine but I do think it's still a decent place to start.

Back