<$300 mic that sounds like BLUE Dragonfly?

laptoppop

Musical Technogeek
I'm going to be recording a guy whose voice sounds really good on a BLUE Dragonfly microphone. Unfortunately, I don't have the $$ to pick up one right now.

Are there any less expensive microphones that I should audition with this guys voice -- in other words that have a chance of competing with the Dragonfly?

Please note: I'm looking for audition candidates - I know I have to try his voice to know for sure. I just don't want to waste my time testing a microphone if it doesn't have a chance.

I give extra credit points for microphones less than $100. <grin>

Thanks,
-lee-

Awwww, c'mon! You're supposed to say something like an SP B-1 or a 67G will sound just like the dragonfly if I give it a wide, gentle 2 dB boost at around 5 kHz! ::sigh::

-lee-

laptoppop said:
Awwww, c'mon! You're supposed to say something like an SP B-1 or a 67G will sound just like the dragonfly if I give it a wide, gentle 2 dB boost at around 5 kHz! ::sigh::

Alright, either of those mics will sound just like a dragonfly, just so long as you . . .

. . . gut out the diaphragm, capsule, every electronic component and replace it with that of a dragonfly . . . and don't forget the casing, too. :D That should just about do it.

Lapptopp, I never understand why people don't put their locations on their profile. If you're near me, I'll lend you a Kiwi!-Richie

Thank you very much, Richard - I appreciate the offer.

I just updated my profile -- I'm in southern California -- a wee bit of a drive.

Actually, I can borrow a Dragonfly from my church -- but I'm also trying to build up my personal mic locker. Right now it consists of.....drumroll...........

2 ECM8000s.

<grin>
-lee-

laptoppop said:
Actually, I can borrow a Dragonfly from my church
Wow, for a second there I considered switching religions so I could join your church. What are they using the Dragonfly for, is there a studio owned by the church?

Yah, its a nice church.

We don't have a studio, per se, but we use our sanctuary for some recording. It doesn't have much in the way of acoustic treatment, but the room is big enough that it works out OK.

We've got a d8b mixing board, the dragonfly, a c414, a Neumann 193, a couple of CAD microphones, a couple of small diaphram condensors, and a few SM57s. The music is currently recorded onto three ADAT decks, but we're seriously looking at a hard disk recorder. For the last album we did, we transferred the tracks from the ADATs to my home computer using a MOTU 2408, then I mixed it at home using Sonar.

I'm wanting to build up my home setup - the sanctuary often has other events scheduled, so it can be very hard to get enough time to record, especially during crunch times, or holiday seasons.

-lee-

I don't know about sounding like a dragonfly, but the Studio Projects B series is nice. You could get a B-1 for $79. It is a nice mic and very useful. It is just too bad that it doesn't have a -10db pad. I used it as a distance mic on guitar amp with nice results, and as overheads my 2 B-1's absolutely rocked!I have a C-1 too, but haven't had much time to play with it.

You haven't told us what you are tying to record. Maybe we could help you decide on something then.

Beez

Nothing sounds like teh BLUE mics except the BLUE mics. They have a ton of high end, yet manage not to sound cheap. I'll tell you, though, if the guy's voice sounds good on a Dragonfly, it is likely to sound good on a lot of other mics too. The usual suspects, C1, C2, AT 40xx series, Rode NT2...

Back