~$300 for a bass amp

tourettes5139

What would you guys recommend amp-wise (for bass) in the $300 range? I have played through a Peavey Basic 112, and it sounded pretty good, but nothing special. I was just curious what you guys would recommend for a good, solid bass tone, and one that would have enough volume for small clubs un-mic'd, if such an amp exists. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!! :)

I picked up an Ampeg VB4 (?) tube amp USED for $325. Sounds great, but only 100 watts. Its still loud through a 15 cab. It has a line out too if you don't want to mic it. I used to have a Peavey TNT 115 that sounded nice 10 years ago too. A friend of mine picked one up a couple years back for near $200 - $250. I like the ampeg though.

Check used and talk em down if you can.

I picked up a Fender BXR 300C used at, of all places, Guitar Center. Got it for $299.00. Only a dollar a watt! :) It's 300 watts @ 8 ohms with a single 15" speaker...and it sounded pretty good. But when I added a 4 x 10" cab (Hartke...used...$200.00)...the load dropped to 4 ohms AND I had 4 10" to support the 15". I think it sounds great now for what I paid.

The amp itself sounded fine without the additional cabinet...it just sounds that much better with it. I've seen the BXR's out there for about what I paid for mine.

tourettes5139 said:
. . . one that would have enough volume for small clubs un-mic'd, if such an amp exists.
Well, the problem with these kinds of questions is that it mostly depends upon what kind of band you're playing with, as to if the amp will be "loud enough" to get the job done. Personally, I've played a fairly large concert hall several times with my smallest combo amp - an SWR Workingman's 10, which pushes 80 watts into a single TEN inch speaker! (The band director often asked me to turn down.) That was with a jazz band. Everybody else was playing acoustic instruments. I've also had a lot of success using that amp at some of the small gigs that I've been playing with a three piece acoustic guitar combo. Some times the two guitar players don't even mic their guitars, the places are so small. Even when they DO amplify them, the volume is very low. However, when I've taken this same amp to rehearsals and jam sessions with amplified rock bands, sometimes it will cut the mustard, sometimes not. Just depends upon how loud the rest of the band are playing.

I'm assuming you'd be using it for a rock band? In that case, I would recommend that you look for a used Peavey or Fender amp. Anywhere from 100 to 300 watts, with either a couple of tens or a fifteen. Remember that the efficiency of the speaker system will have a greater effect on the overall volume than the wattage of the amp. And, of course, remember that if you don't have enough volume, you can always just tell the rest of the band to turn down.

Brad

I hate to say it, but if you're going for power (which you might have to) than there aren't many options besides *hesitates* behringer.

I'm actually going to use it with a blues-rock/jamband type thing, so I won't need anything that is super loud, but I would like enough volume to keep up. When I borrowed that Basic 112 that I mentioned, I had it up 3/4 of the way, and it was just about right. Maybe a little on the quiet side, but I didn't want to crank it all the way, because I didn't quite know how it would react, and it wasn't mine. :p I probably wouldn't have had a problem, but you never know!

Thanks for the suggestions, I guess I will just have to go check out some of the stores around here. It sounds like used is the way to go.

Any other suggestions are appreciated as well.

:)

Does anyone know anything about Carvin's bass amps? I've always like their other stuff that I have used, and have heard great things about their guitar amps. The prices are pretty good, so I was just curious. Thanks. :D

tourettes5139 said:
I was looking around, and I found a SWR Workingman's 15 combo that I could get for around $310. Anyone have experience with this amp, or SWR in general? Thanks.

i have a friend who has one. it's a solid amp. had no trouble being heard over drums, guitar and keys.

tourettes5139 said:
I was looking around, and I found a SWR Workingman's 15 combo that I could get for around $310. Anyone have experience with this amp, or SWR in general? Thanks.
Both of my combo amps are SWR. One is a vintage Bassic Black. The other is the smallest amp of the Workingman's series, the Workingman's 10 which, as I mentioned before, has done a fine job on several smaller, quieter gigs. The Workingman's 15 has a fifteen (of course) and more power, so it should be sufficient for rehearsals and small club gigs with amplified bands. I think the SWR stuff, all in all, is pretty good quality gear for the money. And $310 sounds like a good price for a used Workingman's 15.

Brad

Ok, guys, thanks for all of the help and advice. I think I have it narrowed down to a Peavey Combo 300, and a SWR Workingman's 15. Just one last time: which one would you guys go for? Thanks again and I promise that this is the last time. Maybe. :D

Well, I think I've played the Workingman's 15 once in a store, but don't remember much about it, so I can't offer you much advice on choosing between the two models. Now, I have played the Peavey KB300, however, which is supposed to be a keyboard amp, but absolutely rocks on bass guitar. One of the best sounding combo amps (especially for the price) that you can find for bass.

For what it's worth, I consider both Peavey and SWR to be completely serviceable, gig worthy brand names. In other words, I don't think you'd have any problems with either of them. It's going to just come down to which one sounds the best to your ears, with your bass.

Brad

Thanks for all of your help guys, especially bassman brad, and I think I will let this thread die in peace. Thanks again!!

All Right.

To be honest, I was searching for bass amps under 300 when I found this. I think I may have a few ideas for you though(having been looking for some myself). The first amp I would suggest is the Acoustic 360. Then there's the Ampeg (always a good brand) BA 112. Lots of power, for such small amps. They are both 100W. If I was you, I would go for the Ampeg, but the Acoustic is louder then mt brother's 100 watt fender guitar amp. Hope you get the amp thats right for you, man.

Back