3 mics on drum kit

KyleAtGalaxy

Dedicated newb
Hi everyone. I've been trying some drum recording lately and my set up is a 57 in the kick, a Sennheiser e609 on the snare and an AT2020 for an over head. I have a mbox mini so i have the kick on one track and the snare and over head on the other track. (I can only record two tracks at a time. Only two inputs) Does this seem like a logical set up? I've gotten pretty good results after messing with the mic placement. Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks Everyone!!

It can work. I use a Peavey 520i on the kick, a GLS 57 on the snare and a modded Radio Shack PZM as an overhead and it sounds amazing....and it's cheap:D

if you're looking for something on the cheap try making a pair Tape Op's do it yourself omni-condensers. and combining them with a decent kick mic.

Since you've only got two channels and can't spread the two overheads in a stereo pair. even a really nice kick mic and one of these mics sounds pretty sweet. you'll get a lot of punch and crack for muffled sounds and lots of liveliness for open sounding drums.

i new so I can't post links to other sites until i make 5 posts, just google "Tape Op Mics" and it will be the first thing on the list.

No I haven't tried switching the 609 with the 57 yet but i plan to try it out. I'll google those tape op mics. Sounds like a sweet idea

i've had good results with pointing the overhead over the drummers shoulder pointing at the snare. seems to be a good place for it.

if you're looking for something on the cheap try making a pair Tape Op's do it yourself omni-condensers. and combining them with a decent kick mic.

Since you've only got two channels and can't spread the two overheads in a stereo pair. even a really nice kick mic and one of these mics sounds pretty sweet. you'll get a lot of punch and crack for muffled sounds and lots of liveliness for open sounding drums.

i new so I can't post links to other sites until i make 5 posts, just google "Tape Op Mics" and it will be the first thing on the list.

Have you made these mics? I tried to order the mic capsule from Digi Key and the part is discontinued. Just curious to see what you may have used

Back