3 kick mics for you to hear (if you want)

Guitargodgt

Right o, just happen to have 3 fairly common mics people like right now for comparison. I has samples, the only thing I will say is this is an 18" kick so positioning the stupid D112 and Beta 52 was a bastard. The only thing to note I guess is the Beta is not the 52a, it's just the 52.

Right o:

Pics of how they was (sorry for the darkness, my iphone wasn't liking the lack of light):

e7442b76.jpg

545b890a.jpg

6c47b8ad.jpg

dd310596.jpg

b7843fab.jpg

eb7b46cf.jpg

Cool, they sound about as I expected. 18" kicks are pretty weak though. You didn't have an actual kick drum laying around?

Unfortunately I do not, but I'm recording with Sal on the 24th with a Pearl Masters and I will have all three of these mics again so I could re post if interested. I'll have access to a few other mics as well (414,441,421,U87,TLM67,ifet 7, and a SM7) when we go at it so if you have any requests...

A proper shell kit is still on the list of things to get.

Sal is Stainds new drummer, I borrowed the 52 from him:

Staind - Meet Sal - YouTube

He actually plays out with a cover band locally as well, he is a nice dude.

And yeah I'm not a huge Staind fan, was just making a point he was a good drummer to be recording.

I can't name one staind song, but I know they're part of the nickelback/creed post-grunge yawwwwrrrrrr vocal scene, so therefore they are garbage.

Yep never liked any of their singles. Especially the stupid acoustic one that to this day still blows up the radio. Boring horse shit.

That said, the drums on some of these records sounds amazing so I wouldn't dismiss a guy for the band he was in/playing for.

Yep never liked any of their singles. Especially the stupid acoustic one that to this day still blows up the radio. Boring horse shit.

That said, the drums on some of these records sounds amazing so I wouldn't dismiss a guy for the band he was in/playing for.

I agree. I'm sure he's a great drummer. I just got a chuckle out of Staind.

I like the one Staind song about how he doesn't like his dad.

You know, the one with the angsty, wannabe Nirvana lyrics? And the music video with teenagers looking unhappy?

For a heavy rock sound, I liked the Shure (on the port) sound the pest, but for my uses I preferred the sound of the D 112 (on port) for blues and jazz.
All of the mics on beater sounded too shallow for my taste.

The audix/beater was my favourite. Great comparison!

No, a nearly worthless comparison if you run a project studio. If you put those same mics in another kick drum, you may get opposite results.

It is as variable as matching shoes with feet. Every drum sounds different. Every mic sounds different.

Best scenario is to have several mics and test them all each time you record a different drum set.

Back