3 dimensional mix ?

loudnaybor

When listening to what I would consider to be a very well mixed track, there seems to be more than just a left-right separation between the individual components. There is, at least a perceived, third dimension to the sound that seems to give the instruments vertical space as well as horizontal in the mix. (Does that make any sense at all ?)
My question is, does anyone understand the mechanics behind this? Is this something that just happens or is it something that can be controlled ?

This is typically done by adjusting the volume and panning of the track. lower volume= further away. Using reverb and other effects can help here as well. There's a 3d mixing program that comes with BeOS that let's you adjust the tracks on a 'stage'. You can move the tracks left and right as well as towards you and away.

There is more at play than just eq volume and verb. You can take a room track and delay left and right slightly as to make the room bigger than the common stereo field. It is all about how the ear works. The reason you perceive left and right is because of the inherent delay between your ears. It takes a sound on your left longer to get to your right ear than your left....and we perceive this as placement. Typical stereo placement isn't based on this princible but that it seems left and right because your source is cut off to two speakers. Left and right is now determined by how loud it is balanced in volume. Entirely in one speaker means it is coming from there and so on through the pan. If you think about it, there is a sphere around you from which you recieve stereo panoramic information. Certainly not 2 speakers feeding 2 ears!!

I think I have a 3d mix related
ailment... Is there a doctor in
the forum?
Please have a peek at my 'drowning
drums' topic, if you don't mind!

Back