$3,000 budget. How do I spend it?

Tim Brown

I don't need a Surface controller. I can add that later.

Some kind of Mac and Logic Pro 8?

Most of my friends are using Sonar and Dualcore PC's, so I'm considering that.

I looked at Protools LE with an 003R, and while I dislike the fact that I can't record 24 signals in at one pass - I haven't ruled it out completely.

Yes -I will need a new PC - if it is a PC, I can build it myself - I've built several, so that isn't a problem.

I don't know shit about Macs, and I know even less since they changed their CPU manufacturer a while back....that said - I really like Logic.

But for the ability of being able to work with friends over the net - I'd probably rather go with Sonar.

So how would you spend $3,000 to get into recording on a PC or a mac.

I'll need:

A New Computer (no Laptops - I hate the damned things)
Recording Software
An Interface with at least 8 channels of line input and 8 channels of ADAT input.

If I go PC, I'll probably end up buying a Hammerfall card that allows you to hook up several ADAT connections at once. (I think it said it was 52 channels - 26 in and out at one pass.)

Thanks,
Tim

I know I'll probably get hell for this, but I personally LOVE my firestudio. It may not be the best, but for the price (~700 bucks online) I feel it can't be beat. 8 inputs, ADAT lightpipe dual SMUX, all you need to get going. I'm not too familiar with mac's but I do know one thing; They're DAMN expensive! LOL Just my .02

-Joel

I'd avoid Xeons for Pro Audio*. The 3000 series Xeons on Newegg are not real 1333mhz 5000 (or now 1666mhz 7000) series Xeon processors (avoid the out of date dog slow 800 and 1066 fsb xeons, they were never fit for audio). Theyre relabeled Core2's. The 5000/7000 series chips are the server class multi-processor Xeons that can make up octacore rigs. Real Xeon systems are still quite expensive (keep in mind youre buying 2 processors plus a server class board) and not exactly simple to set up and get running correctly. Plus, the current Core2Quad rigs will beat the Xeons at low latency audio performance anyways.

Do you have something you're planning to hook up to the 96/52? You're going to have to get the interface part figured out no matter if you are mac or pc. Its a good card, but its pretty useless on its own.

*unless its a Mac Pro

Man, I love threads like these...

Come on man, give me a break. I haven't really been able to figure out what will work best for me.

There is so much gear out there, that I'm just not sure where to start.

I considered kicking out $1600 and getting the Mackie Onyx 12 or whatever that thing is called and just using that and a PC (or a Mac mini Pro or whatever the one that costs $800 is called.)

Tim

I'd avoid Xeons for Pro Audio*. The 3000 series Xeons on Newegg are not real 1333mhz 5000 (or now 1666mhz 7000) series Xeon processors (avoid the out of date dog slow 800 and 1066 fsb xeons, they were never fit for audio). Theyre relabeled Core2's. The 5000/7000 series chips are the server class multi-processor Xeons that can make up octacore rigs. Real Xeon systems are still quite expensive (keep in mind youre buying 2 processors plus a server class board) and not exactly simple to set up and get running correctly. Plus, the current Core2Quad rigs will beat the Xeons at low latency audio performance anyways.

Do you have something you're planning to hook up to the 96/52? You're going to have to get the interface part figured out no matter if you are mac or pc. Its a good card, but its pretty useless on its own.

*unless its a Mac Pro

I was either going to buy the Alesis 8 line ins to ADAT out rack units and just use those to convert the signal from my mixer and a few mic pres to ADAT, or perhaps get an Octane or something along that line.

Tim

Well PC/Mac is all up to you and whatever you feel good using. I use and deal with both daily, and like them both. If you go with a PC, get a Core2Quad rig. Get the Q6600 processor if you want alot of power for the money. If you go with a Mac, any Mac Pro will get the job done well. If you decide on PC and want further configuration help, let me know and I can lead you to what works best for audio.

When it comes to the other Macs, know that they (imac and mini) use the notebook versions of processors, and have similar performance in that regard to notebook speeds, not desktop speeds. I don't know why Apple has left the full Core2Duo and Quad desktop chips out of their lineup.

Back