2PR FM's complete quickguide to Sound forging your vinyl to CD!

radiogold

Just completed hours ago!!

The complete LP2CD guide; covers all aspects of transferring your favourite records on to CD, in 16 informative sections. Everything from choosing the right equipment, to getting the right plugs and connections, through to using the different functions on Sonic Foundry Sound Forge 6.0. Clean up and revive that legendary piece of music, lost at the back of your record collection.

http://www.2prfm.com/lp2cd/

Enjoy!!!

Good tutorial, overall. A few simple grammatical fixes might make it a little more credible. But it was well written and easy to follow.

Sonic Foundry has a noise removal plugin for Sound Forge, with features specifically aimed at transferring sound from records. It's about $100 US, IIRC.

You're really not stuck with 16/44.1 - you could go 24/96 if you wanted. You'd just have to take it back down for a CD.

I'm not sure about the 2 normalizing steps - you might be better off to save norming for the end. I'd also keep it around -1, instead of -0.07 - some players don't handle the last decibel well. You might also want to clarify that you are doing peak norming, not RMS - RMS could change the dynamics on you.

Still, nice job. I've never actually tried the transfer yet, I may do it now, just for fun...

Daf

Thanks for the feedback Daf! I haven't really tried recording at 24/96, as converting the format back to 16/44.1 will cut the higher frequencies off. I might just try it! I've tried the demo version of the Vinyl restoration tool, but for some reason, it didn't "clean up" as good as the other filters in SF. It seems the vinyl restorer does a number of functions at once. I find applying the functions separately works better. Glad you like the tutorial, thanks, mark, australia

Back