2nd hard drive. what should go where?

spoonie g

ok, I have 2 hard drives in my comp. now. what goes where? does my os and audio editor go on the same drive? should I just put all of my music files on the second drive?

spoonie g said:
ok, I have 2 hard drives in my comp. now. what goes where? does my os and audio editor go on the same drive? should I just put all of my music files on the second drive?

OS and music software - drive 1
music files - drive 2
:cool:

i'd say music software and all audio related material on the second drive. so everything is read on one drive when you're doing audio work

Standard procedure is to put O/S and ALL Applications on the primary hard drive, and alll audio files on the second hard drive.

Ditto. What you are trying to accomplish is not merely to segregate music from purer pursuits but to set up a drive where your recording and playback will not be interrupted by the activity of the software. In other words, you should have a system drive, including all the programs, and another drive that acts as a storage place for the audio.

The only other thing you may want to consider putting on the 2nd drive besides the actual audio data would be audio samples, if you use a sampler that streams the samples from disk instead of loading to memory.
Other than that .... yes OS and all programs (including plugin directory) go on drive one.

Sppoons,

> I have 2 hard drives in my comp. now. what goes where? <

For the complete story see my three-part series from Keyboard magazine, 5th in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

The first part explains a lot about using multiple hard drives, but you'll probably find the other parts useful too.

--Ethan

thanks a lot. I previously was using a single hard drive for all of my work, but it died. I figured that 2 would handle the load a lot more easily, but wanted make sure exactly what I was doing.

Back