28 songs - all roughly 1min or under

shiatzu

http://www.thegco.com/musics.html

Just thought i'd post this.. it was a fun exercise, we tried to see how many under 1 minute songs we could write and record in 1 week; we made it to 28.

note: it's the second CD down, the pink one, not the one with the duck; the duck cd is my band, The GCO's real cd.

Enjoy. Or not.. it's up to you. I also highly recommend listening to "A Minor" off of the duck album as well.

This stuff is right up my alley, musically. It's kind of a frustrating listen, however. It would be nice to hear some of these ideas fleshed out a little more. I'll save your website and check out some of the other tunes later.

You, sir, will be added to my signature of noteworthy/exceptional music I have found in this forum here. I haven't been looking lately. I'm trying to expand my musical tastes, and this sounds interesting. Just the mixing alone, is refreshing in that it is full and of good quality. Thanks for all the free songs.

Later, after I listen with headphones and stuff, I'll write a longer reply, but keep up the good work. Cool stuff.

I like the stuff - although the vocals aren't quite to my taste.
Nice arrangements and some interesting changes.

Thanks for the positive feedback, a few of the short songs are horrible but there are definitely quite a few gems in the collection. I'm pretty proud of our "real" work, swatsds, thanks for linking!

I enjoyed the two songs of the Duck album. Was this really done with home recording? The quality is very clean and mixed really well.

Pardon my prejudice stereotyping, but this reminds me of that new genre we've had to sit through the past couple years that all sounds alike, like The Strokes, and all those other nameless bands that are annoying.
Your band is different, though. Namely, you don't feel the need to use 6 choruses and just play simple-ass riffs.

Good sounding stuff. Good luck with it.

hi man,
downloaded the 28 songs,
awesome ! i like this concept,
see how much u can record in a week,
i like the songs, short, fun, nice quality man,
not super PRO that will get into the charts but so much fun to listen to !
and decent, yeah

can u give us some more info on How u recorded it?
and with what equipment?

its only 15 minutes, thats cool, makes me play the cd over and over again,
good work,
maybe now its time to concentrate on a few of the best songs,
and make a single out of it

i'm gonna record 10 short songs on 1 day, this saturday,
i'll compare the quality with yours !
but mine is punk

:)

talk to u soon,
earworm

earworm; here's how we record:

the short cd was recorded (believe it or not) entirely on a 4-track. it was just the easiest way to get the tracks down as quickly as we were writing them. we mic'ed as little as possible and tried for as few overdubs as we can get away with.

the actual recording we also recorded at home (in our guitarist's basement.. which is in no way set up as a studio). if i can remember correctly, we recorded the drums to a 4-track, mixed it to stereo and then uploaded it into cubase. the drums were mic'ed with a simple kick, snare, 2 overhead pattern.. i'll check into what mics we used if anyone is interested; i have little experience recording drums so it that part was done by our guitarist, mike (who also mixed the album). the bass was mic'ed with a sm57 on a traynor bass head w. some sort of large (4x10"?12"? maybe?) bass cab; for distorted bass we either just drove the amp into clipping or used a big muff, i forget. the guitar was recorded with a traynor guitar amp and w/ a big, custom made cab mic'ed with a sm57 as well. lastly, the keyboard (i used exclusively a clavia nord electro 2 keyboard) was put through a peavey blues classic 1x15" combo amp (also mic'ed with a 57, seeing a trend here?). vocals were tracked with either a 57 or a 58 (possibly both were featured).

recording setup was a tascam mixer, a 4-track, and a maudio audiophile 2496 w. cubase sx loaded on the pc. i'm not sure if we had additional pre's, we may have.. we recorded the album over a span of, about, 5 months.

LASTLY, the whole thing was mastered by j.lapointe at archive mastering in dartmouth, nova scotia, canada, who really did an awesome job cleaning up our final mix.

swatsds; i can't say that we haven't been influenced by the "the" bands... since i do listen to, and quite enjoy, the strokes. our main influences would have to be the sycamores (www.thesycamores.org) and the dears (www.thedears.org). I'll also throw down the fact that we're probably influenced by weezer, like every other pop band on the face of the planet.

thanks again guys. when we post more music i'll let you know. or since most of you can't get a copy of the cd (since we have no distro whatsoever) email me at robe@thegco.com and i'll send you the cd in mp3 format free of charge.

u guys rock, just simply rock !
and interesting, that mastering dude might have done a good job,
but i think it all started with a "fine" recording

i enjoy playing your album, its more fun than most commercial shit,
you're not boring, and i heard "expensive" demo cds that sounded ten times "worse" than yours, OK, don't take me wrong you don't sound bad but i don't know the correct word to describe what i mean :p :p

just wondering, a 57 on a bassamp,
didn't that distort too many times?

i considered it but never dared to do it...

how much spl can that mic handle?
or isn't it all about spl?

wow, thanks for the compliments, i really appreciate knowing that people like what we do (because we never get paid, so thank are all we get :D )

i'll get back to you on how we did the bass recording, but this album featured the SM57 *VERY* heavily.

Man this is fookin shweet, theres someting about all the clips i like, i like the fact theyre not full songs, kinda quirky, not something id ...*just had to stop to have a wee chuckle there at 'Its bad, you know' ha. it was bad. but cool.* ... ye, anyway, not something id write myself, but each to their own. im gona download those badboys. i think this deserves to get bumped too :)

there's a ton of inside jokes on this album.. if you only knew our friend Mike Dorton you'd understand. Glad you enjoyed it.

Back