$2500 Studio Upgrade

Dobs

I got a nice christmas bonus and want to upgrade my entry level Studio. I have $2500 to spend and am really wondering what you'd do if you were in my situation.

I am currently using an sm57, Rode NT1a, RNC, and a Mackie Onyx 400F. That's all I use. The Mackie is my AD/DA converter and preamp. I run Acoustic, Bass, and vocs through the RNC. I mic Guitar cabs with the SM57.

My style of music is indie rock. Here's a sample www.myspace.com/stevendolbey

I know equipment is subjective, so if you were in my shoes, What would you do to get to the next level if you had my current equipment and $2500?

Any and all feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

maybe a nice mic? as you note, this is very subjective, but maybe something like a peluso 24 47 le or a charter oak tube mic?

I was looking at the Peluso 2447 the Gefell M930. I am going to need to do some taste testing prior to dropping 1500. There is one place in town that will let me testdrive them and do some comparison. I thought a nice mic pre would be a good accompanyment. I'd still have a grand left to upgrade the pre...

Any ideas on a pre that would accompany the Peluso Nicely?

Dobs said:
I am currently using an sm57, Rode NT1a, RNC, and a Mackie Onyx 400F. That's all I use.

Thanks,

maybe some cables to hook it all up... :D

If it were me... Id get myself a nice board and a few good mics. Maybe grab yourself a new stand alone interface. Just my .02

I think I'd spread the love, pick up a pretty good, moderately priced mic, like an AKG 414, some good cables, like maybe a Blue Kiwi cable or two, A Speck MicPre 5.0. At that point I'd have about $715 left over, and I think I'd sleep on it. and decide on either buying more stuff or saving up.

you dont record drums? indie rock with no drums??

TD-3 used and a copy of DFH superior should take care of that, if that's something you are into. ok, $1800 left now..

nice vocal mic, maybe BLUE baby bottle. another pre amp? how bout a grace 101? figure $1000 left now.

i dont know anything else i would want to buy right now.

I agree with most everybody else. The RNP/Onyx combo will work fairly well, and is not "the weakest link". You need mics.
First, I would buy 2 heavy duty mic stands. The only cheap ones that are really heavy duty that I know of are:

http://www.musician.com/product/OnStage-Stands-SB96-Studio-Boom-Microphone-Stand?sku=452082

Then consider one or two really good dynamics, say a Sennheiser MD421 and a Shure SM7 or EV RE-20.
Then select a dedicated low frequency mic, for instance AKG D112 or Audix D-6.
Next, a good pair of small diaphragm mics for overheads and stereo recording. Don't get cheap here. these are your front line instrument mics. Good mid-priced models include Shure SM81. Better (more expensive)- Consider a pair of Josephson C42's.
We're running out of money and we need a main vocal mic. Some of my midpriced favorites include Rode K2, Audio-Technica AT4060, Studio Projects T-3. A good priced sleeper here is the Neumann KMS105, a handheld condensor intended as a stage mic. It's a surprisingly good studio vocal mic.
That pairs well with one (two is better) multipattern swiss army mics such as
Audio-Technica AT4050, AKG C414, Shure KSM44. If you're low on cash, even a pair of CAD M179's could be helpful.

There- I just spent your $2500, based on the following criteria- Every mic I listed above is a proven workhorse. Most likely, if you continue recording, you will never sell any of them. If you have to sell, every one of them will hold their value well.

P.S. Many people will recommend some cheap Chinese ribbons. Many people are impressed by them. I haven't used them, and have no real clue. Best of luck-Richie
l

TragikRemix said:
yeah thats where i'd put the other 1000 :D

cant forget about that. funny thing about nice gear; it just amplifies how not nice your room is.
I FREAKIN' LOVE THAT!!!

Third-ing room treatment also. You will only ever be as good as your monitors allow you to be. Your monitors will only ever be as good as the room allows them to be.

Oh yeah, Massive Mastering is quite right. If your room sucks, deal with that first. Or- buy one good dynamic mic and spend the rest of the money dealing with the room.-Richie

Thanks for all the ideas. This is going to be easier than I thought. My bigest problem is really overanalysis :p I allready have good cables and I use FL Studio for Drums (Let the bashing begin). I invested 300 for BFD and hated it. So I defaulted to FL for ease of use and flexability.

I'm leaning towards this.

1) Tube Condensor mic
2) Two Channel preamp
3) Audio interface

So, I'm thinking along the lines of this

1) AT 4060 - $1000 (New)
2) DAV- BG1 - $500 (Used)

$1,000 left to upgrade my Audio interface. The MOTU 896HD Looks nice.

I'm even considering selling some gear to get to the next level of Mic. Like the Peluso or Gefell...

I think I have upgrade-itis. Looking around the room thinking about what I can sell.

Thanks again for all the ideas. I'm still mowing it over but think I'm on the right track...

TragikRemix said:
yeah thats where i'd put the other 1000 :D

cant forget about that. funny thing about nice gear; it just amplifies how not nice your room is.

Good Point. I want good gear, but my room sucks. That's an understatement. My room horribly sucks is way more appropriate. Has anyone been in this perdicament before?

I have a 13x13 room to write, record, mix, and master. I literally record vocs 7' away from my DAW. I'm not only limited on space, I'm also the artist and engineer. So I don't have the option of having someone else record me. I guess I'll keep the ONYX and spend the other 1,000 on my room.

Thanks again for the advice.

Anyone have a link to

Six Studio Traps would be just under $2300, plus shipping. If you buy them, you'll be impressed by what else you don't need.

Cheers,

Otto

If you can only drop $1k on the room, that would put GIK 244's 8' high in all four corners, one in each high side mid corner and a couple for flavor.

Dobs said:
$1,000 left to upgrade my Audio interface. The MOTU 896HD Looks nice.

Is going from Mackie Onyx to Motu that much of a step up?

What about a UAD card and some nice plugs to go with it

Back