$2500. for multichannel interface

laptoppop

Musical Technogeek
Right now, I'm running 2 Aardvard 24/96 cards into my PC. I'm satisfied with the sound, but I only get 8 channels in at a time.

I need more inputs. I'm able to spend about $2500.

I'm considering options. I really would like a hardware mixer -- the Aardvark on-screen mixers work, but are a bit of a pain to use when you are doing lots of channels. I would only use the mixer for its preamps and to provide the monitors/headphone mixes. I use and like Sonar3 for my main DAW, with a Mackie control driving it -- I don't want to run my final mix through the board at this time.

The new Mackie Onyx with the firewire interface looks interesting -- but its not out yet.

I'm leaning toward the allen&heath mixwizard 16:2dx -- 16 channels, direct out on each one, built in effects.

For D/A conversion.... ???
2 Aardvark aark24.... (16 channels, also gives me adat in/out)
Motu 24 i/o -- 24 channels, haven't been able to find out info on sound quality
2 RME multiface -- a bit more money than the aardvark with similar features. worth it??

Help! Suggestions?? Quality is first consideration, 16 channels minimum. 24 channels would be MUCH better.

Thanks!
-lee-

Yah, I thought about that -- but I'm really get tired of the on-screen mixer. I want a board where its one knob -- the Aardvark three range thing and on-screen knob thats a bit hard to hit is getting real old. I also don't like the way there's a missing part of the range between mc1 and ln in -- on a mixing board I'll get -15 to +60 with one easy knob.

The Aark 24 gives me 8 inputs, as well as Adat in/out and wordclock, etc. for a bit cheaper than the Q10. I'm assuming its basically the same without the preamps.

So two Aark24s for about 1200 would work -- but should I go 1500 and get 24 channels from the motu instead of 16 from the aardvarks? Or should I go for 16 channels of RME for about 1500? Would their quality be that much better?

-lee-

Good thought -- it pits 16 channels of I/O directly against each other...
Aardvark, MOTU, and RME.

I'd *like* 24 channels with good quality, if possible, to be used in live recording of groups.

-lee-

What is it about the 24 I/O that you don't like? I drool over that thing. I don't think the converter quality would be any worse or better than a 2408.

I don't trust it -- MOTU puts some specifications(dynamic range, THD+N) up on their website for their high end HD192, but not for the 24I/O. So far, they haven't answered a couple of emails I sent tech support asking about it. I'd hate to spend that much $ and end up with sub-par results.

That being said, I may well get it -- I'm just really wanting to be sure I'm doing the right thing before I spend so much money.

Thanks,
-lee-

I tried to rack my brain for a while when considering what equipment to get. I need 16 tracks at once as well. I was leaning toward the MOTU but a little strapped for cash. This is what I came up with.

I'm building a PC specifically for the studio, super fast and lots of storage. I am getting (2)Terratec EWS88/Mt sound cards. Each have 8 i/o 24bit/96Khz. I will also be getting an 8 channel pre-amp and using my little Behringer mixer for the other eight pres. I then will route these channels into the Terratecs and into the PC. I will do any automation/moves and some effects then route them back to my 16 channel Yamaha mixer to give the "hands on" mix that I prefer, and then finally from the Yamaha to my CD Burner. All together I am looking at $1,600 (for the PC and soundcards and pre-amp).

I don't doubt that the 192 I/O has better converters than the 24 I/O, but I seriously doubt that you will be able to hear the difference at 48k or 44.1. I'm also fairly confident that they are the same converters as on the 2408.

Are you planning to work at high sample rates (96/192)?

I've had my eye on the 24io for a long time, if I had the cash I would get it in a heartbeat. You really have to try one and listen for yourself to make up your mind. All of the mentioned interfaces have very similar sound quality so it's really the features that you shold pay attention to. Why not look at M-Audios delta 1010?
Get two of those and you will have twice the in/outs as a Q10 for around the same price. Remember with te Q10 yu are paying for the preamps. Just stuff to think about, hope it helps.

M-audio, eh? Now there's one I hadn't looked at. Looks like there are two - the 1010LT which is a card with a breakout cable for CHEAP! and the normal 1010 which has a whole breakout box.

The breakout cable uses RCA plugs on it...yecccch. But the price!!!

Looks like the normal 1010 uses 1/4" plugs -- and is at a price about the same as the Aardvark aark24 with similar features.

Checked the website -- looks like you CAN use more than one.

So.... how does the SOUND of the 1010LT compare? This could be VERY interesting...!

-lee-

Back