25 Watt Celestions VS. 75 Watt Celestions

Spin Doctor

Hello,

I don't know ANYTHING about this kinda stuff. Some dudes told me the 25 watt Greenbacks would go perfectly with my Plexi Reissue. My bass player thinks 25 watts is too little.

We play punk rock and my amp is cranked very loud.

What will the difference be if I get some greenbacks? (I think my cabinet currently has 75 watt speakers.)

Hello,

I don't know ANYTHING about this kinda stuff. Some dudes told me the 25 watt Greenbacks would go perfectly with my Plexi Reissue. My bass player thinks 25 watts is too little.

We play punk rock and my amp is cranked very loud.

What will the difference be if I get some greenbacks? (I think my cabinet currently has 75 watt speakers.)

you need to get the same wattage speaker that the amp is rated for. You will also want to make sure to get the right OHM speaker. otherwise if you get an under rated speaker you will blow it out or if you get the wrong OHM speaker you can damage your amp.

the easiest way to go about replacing a speaker is to replace it with the same make of speaker or reasonable facsemy
if the Voice coil is still good you can have the speaker reconed for a fraction of what it would cost to replace.

the best advise I can give you is to take it to a shop that repairs audio equipment and have them replace the speaker for you.

because if you are messing around inside a combo amp and grab ahold of the wrong thing it will kill you dead even if it is unpluggedand That is no shit.

well ...... hmmmm.
The voice coil doesn't have to be good to recone ..... one of the things that is replaced during reconing is the voice coil.
Also, the speaker doesn't have to be the same wattage rating as the amp but it's a good idea to have the total capacity of all the speakers be as much as the amp puts out. If you're using a 4-12 bottom ..... then four of the 25 watters would handle 100 watts so that'd be fine. And there is nothing I can think of that's dangerous in a combo amp if you're only changing the speaker. Changing a speaker is about the easiest most basic work you can do on an amp so I wouldn't be too frightened about doing it yourself. Plus, it's not super uncommon to see people use speakers that aren't rated for the full power of the amp because of breakup characteristics they desire.
So the main thing you want is to be sure that the sound of the speaker is what you want.
Different speakers sound WAY different so you're gonna want to do some research on reviews of speakers and find some that seem well liked by folks who play your style of music.

well ...... hmmmm.
The voice coil doesn't have to be good to recone ..... one of the things that is replaced during reconing is the voice coil.
Also, the speaker doesn't have to be the same wattage rating as the amp but it's a good idea to have the total capacity of all the speakers be as much as the amp puts out. If you're using a 4-12 bottom ..... then four of the 25 watters would handle 100 watts so that'd be fine. And there is nothing I can think of that's dangerous in a combo amp if you're only changing the speaker. Changing a speaker is about the easiest most basic work you can do on an amp so I wouldn't be too frightened about doing it yourself. Plus, it's not super uncommon to see people use speakers that aren't rated for the full power of the amp because of breakup characteristics they desire.
So the main thing you want is to be sure that the sound of the speaker is what you want.
Different speakers sound WAY different so you're gonna want to do some research on reviews of speakers and find some that seem well liked by folks who play your style of music.

not always, you can recone a speaker without replacing the voice coil. if the voce coil is bad I will usually replace the speaker at that point, that is just me.

I just don't think it is a good idea for someone who does not have any experience to open up an amp and try to work on it because of the risk of electrical shock. once an experienced preson shows them how to safely replace a speaker then fine but I think it is better to play it safe. that is all I am saying.
and the reason I say it is because I had a friend that was electricuted working on his amp and it almost killed him.

Greenbacks would go very well with a Plexi IMHO.

Opening up a speaker cabinet really poses very little risk of "electrical shock". Like ZERO.

not always, you can recone a speaker without replacing the voice coil.

Well, I guess you could, but it would be a lot harder that way, since the cone is attached to the voice coil. You'd have to get the old one off the old cone without warping it out of round, which won't be easy since they are glued together with heat resistant glue.

Plus, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of instrument or PA speaker recone jobs are done because of problems with the voice coil.

well ...... hmmmm.

Well, I guess you could, but it would be a lot harder that way, since the cone is attached to the voice coil. You'd have to get the old one off the old cone without warping it out of round, which won't be easy since they are glued together with heat resistant glue.

Plus, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of instrument or PA speaker recone jobs are done because of problems with the voice coil.

yes you guys are right, my bad i have been calling another part of the speaker the voice coil all this time. I have reconed several of my own speakers never actually knowing the voice coil was the voice coil:o
0109cae_subwoofer12_zoom.jpg

Yes, exactly.
I was actually referring to a combocab persay.

not always, you can recone a speaker without replacing the voice coil. .
No .... you can't. First off ..... the only reason there is to recone a speaker in the first place is if the voice coil is burnt or rubbing. If that's not the case, then there's no reason to recone it.
Secondly, the glue they use to glue speaker cones to the voice coil and spider doesn't come off. I used to recone speakers and I can tell you for sure that when you do one, you clean it down to the frame.
Maybe you're thinking of replacing foam surrounds on stereo speakers which you can do without changing anything else.

editoops ..... sorry, just saw your last post.

I was actually referring to a combocab persay.

Same difference. The amp section and the speaker section is totally separate in any combo I've ever seen. If you tried to open the amp section to change the speaker, then you deserve to have the shit shocked out of you. :D

Would this cabinet sound decent with my Plexi Reissue??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-4x12-j...ryZ38075QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I did a little research on the type of speakers, and it says perfect for ''high gain metal''. I don't play high gain metal, just punk rock. But I want professional opinions such as yours.

that is a good price considering I have seen them go for 750 bucks used
Te JCM Slash cab is a good cab whether that one is good or not is yet to be heard.
buying used items on E bay is sometimes a gamble especially with used cabs.
if the seller guarantees that the cab is in good working order and has a good rep then your chances of getting screwed are less likely.

if the seller has no rep and is selling as is I would steer clear.

Hello,
My bass player thinks 25 watts is too little.
(I think my cabinet currently has 75 watt speakers.)

this is related to what I was trying to ask also, in relate to my 8ohm 16ohm thread.

What I'm wondering is there a technically negative issue with using a 25watt in a 40 watt amp, versus a 100watt speaker in a 40watt amp... really?

I'm not talking about tone, I'm more concerned with the amp overheating or some negative issue for messing with the design (supposedly done by hi level engineers)

this is related to what I was trying to ask also, in relate to my 8ohm 16ohm thread.

What I'm wondering is there a technically negative issue with using a 25watt in a 40 watt amp, versus a 100watt speaker in a 40watt amp... really?

I'm not talking about tone, I'm more concerned with the amp overheating or some negative issue for messing with the design (supposedly done by hi level engineers)
From the amps' standpoint ..... the wattage rating of the speaker is inconsequential ..... no difference whatsoever as long as the speaker is working.

If you're shopping, have a look at these guys. Full cabs or just the speakers. I've done business with them several times. Great product at a great price. They do business on eBay as well.

Just a thought.

Back