sugarloaf

for now my questions relate exclusively to the original Tascam 2488.I'm a singer songwriter bluesman from the age of tape, and digital computer challenged. I've had my little "studio" for probably 5 years now and it's been quite a learning experience .I'm finally working on a full scale project as a virtual band where I play all the parts.3 or 4 basic questions are- Even my best results burning cds still lack the volume and punch of a commercial product in other words when played on various machines they have to be turned up to equal the relative loudness of the commercial cd. I assume this has to do with compression and have played with the dynamic compressor but if I push the volume too hard I just end up with distortion crackle . So end of first question-Am I trying to achieve the impossible, can this be done with the 2488? Second question - which may be related- I have been recording in 24 bit- Is this a mistake since it all ends up burnt and played 16 bit ? I only have 4 or 5 completed songs- should I switch to 16 bit for better results from here on? Third- I am considering hiring a local studio guy to mix, for both the expertise and the objective ear. Would it be best to bring my machine with me or use one of the file export options, which one ? I have many more questions including how to transfer songs to where they can be emailed and downloaded. Obviously I'm a digital dummy, just another musician trying to get his stuff out there on a low budget. All help, advice , reference to other posts appreciated. Sugarloaf Mack.

Editing my post to delete my long, detailed, and very helpful answer. :)

It's weird, I stopped answering questions in the TASCAM forum because it seems TASCAM users are the only ones that ask a question, and never even come back to say thank you. I'm not asking for much, just a little thank you to acknowledge that you read my response.

I answered this TASCAM question because it wasn't in the TASCAM forum. I thought things would be different. But, no, just another greedy, selfish TASCAM user who can't even take 4 seconds to say thank you.

From now on, even though I've owned a 788, a 2488, and a US-800, I'm boycotting all questions from TASCAM users.

They neve call, they never write. :(

Last edited:
...and all those orgasms I had while answering your questions.....I faked them all.

:D

It's weird, I stopped answering questions in the TASCAM forum because it seems TASCAM users are the only ones that ask a question, and never even come back to say thank you. I'm not asking for much, just a little thank you to acknowledge that you read my response.

Watch, he was in a minor car accident that sent him to the hospital for a day, and now that he's back home, he'll be really sad you deleted your response...

Watch, he was in a minor car accident that sent him to the hospital for a day, and now that he's back home, he'll be really sad you deleted your response...

I hope so. Someone has to pay for the sins of all the other TASCAM users. He's their Jesus. I'm Ponteous Pilate....or Kind Herod....I can't remember who did what in that fictional story. :eek:

I'm having problems staying logged in and just lost a reply. Mr. Rami , if you're there thanks for your reply. You were the only response. Now that I know I have been trying to achieve the impossible I'm quite pleased with my results. Sorry but I don't have my own computer, don't visit the net every day, and didn't know there was a social media etiquette to so easily offend.Sugarloaf

didn't know there was a social media etiquette to so easily offend.Sugarloaf
Actually, there isn't. I judged you quick because you of the whole TASCAM thing, and the rest of the posts were just joking around. It's only been a day. :)

I'm glad you got my response though. It was pretty good, huh? :D

Back