2488 Neo vs. DP-24 or DP-32

A Reel Person

It's Too Funky in Here!!!
I've read most of the posts on this forum.

If you were to pop for new or used gear right now, would you get a used 2488 Neo, a new DP-24 or a new DP-32, and why?

I already have my eye on something, but I want to know what other Tascam users here think.

Thanks!

For my purposes the DP-24 is just fine. I have no need for 32 tracks. I like the color screen, the noiseless solid state storage. That said, there are some features of the Neo that are attractive, but not necessary to me.

I have been vacillating between Zoom and the DP. MF has a version called the DP32-SD it does not have the CD or MIDI, straight to SD card, which I like.

When you decide what you get, I would like to know how you are getting along as I am moving (slowly) in this direction.

I started with the Zoom R-16 which was very good. Then I needed more tracks and went to the Tascam DP-24. I now use the Zoom as an excellent mixer and an AI when I use Reaper for mastering....etc. Bottom line.....the DP24 is an excellent multi-track unit. Easier to use than the R-16 or the R-24 and very reliable. The price for the DP-32 (same as DP-24 just a few more tracks) has been inching down and the DP-32 without the CD writing function is really a good deal. If you already have a way to write to CD or don't need to be able to import tracks from a CD.........go for the Musicians Friend unit. Just my opinion.

Still undecided!

I was always interested in the 2488Neo and the DP24, but never too motivated. I think the rollout of the DP32 really lit my fire! However, I read in reviews the DP32SD, less CDRW and MIDI, would not apply standard DP32 updates or identify for update purposes as a DP32. I don't know how true that is, or whether it was user error. I've usually not used MIDI, and the CD drive would probably be a nice-to-have feature, but all this is still under consideration. (Budgetary). I also think doing away with MIDI T.C. "Slave" function was a mistake. I see other more common deficiencies, and I'm onboard with the other users who've mated a highly capable analog mixer to the front end of the DP- series.
:spank::eek:;)

When the Pocketstudio 5 was rolled out about 10 years ago for $399 brand new, and this year the DP-32SD rolled out for $399,... Wow! That's a HUGE reality check! Who wouldn't love that?

I had a Neo for like 3or 4 years,, ran great.. I sold it for an upgrade ..well it took I think 1 year until they got the firm ware in order and now support 1.13 and it runs like a 426 hemi very nice and so forgiving,, if u get one make sure it has the 1.13 update and don't look back !!!.. it needs a firkin VGA upgrade though !!!

I was always interested in the 2488Neo and the DP24, but never too motivated. I think the rollout of the DP32 really lit my fire! However, I read in reviews the DP32SD, less CDRW and MIDI, would not apply standard DP32 updates or identify for update purposes as a DP32. I don't know how true that is, or whether it was user error. I've usually not used MIDI, and the CD drive would probably be a nice-to-have feature, but all this is still under consideration. (Budgetary). I also think doing away with MIDI T.C. "Slave" function was a mistake. I see other more common deficiencies, and I'm onboard with the other users who've mated a highly capable analog mixer to the front end of the DP- series.

I wrote Tascam to ask about how the DP32SD would be supported. That is a very important point you make there. I don't see why it would not be supported the same as the 32 regular, but there could be reasons and I wouldn't want to buy an outlier.

DP-32SD: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

I just went to the Tascam web site and did a search for DP-32SD.

It clearly shows that this unit is supposed to have:
- MIDI in and out
- A CD RW drive

This is from their website!!!!!!!!
?????????????????????????????

One note regarding the lack of MIDI: For me this would be a deal breaker. I have a drum machine that I sync up to the recorder. If you don't have the MIDI ports, I suspect that this would no longer be possible.

I have an old 788 and always thought that the manual/documentation for it was very good. It appears that in recent years Tascam has taken huge multiple steps backwards in this area.

In addition, in any dealings that I or anyone I know have EVER had with Tascam service or personnel, I/we have come away less than satisfied. If you have written a letter expecting a response, don't hold your breath waiting. I know two people that have written them recently through their web site with simple questions. It has been over two months and still no answer to either.

I do have to say however, that I know of two people who have purcahsed DP24s (one a few months ago, one about two years ago). They are both very happy with their machines.

DP-32SD: BUYER BEWARE!!!!!

I just went to the Tascam web site and did a search for DP-32SD.

It clearly shows that this unit is supposed to have:
- MIDI in and out
- A CD RW drive

This is from their website!!!!!!!!
?????????????????????????????

One note regarding the lack of MIDI: For me this would be a deal breaker. I have a drum machine that I sync up to the recorder. If you don't have the MIDI ports, I suspect that this would no longer be possible.

I have an old 788 and always thought that the manual/documentation for it was very good. It appears that in recent years Tascam has taken huge multiple steps backwards in this area.

In addition, in any dealings that I or anyone I know have EVER had with Tascam service or personnel, I/we have come away less than satisfied. If you have written a letter expecting a response, don't hold your breath waiting. I know two people that have written them recently through their web site with simple questions. It has been over two months and still no answer to either.

I do have to say however, that I know of two people who have purcahsed DP24s (one a few months ago, one about two years ago). They are both very happy with their machines.

You're right about the web site, but if you read the posts above, this in known. This is also why it is about $100 cheaper than the other version.

FYI - In regards to the SP32-SD here is what I received from Tascam:

"Updates currently available for the DP-32 do not apply to the DP-32SD.
When/if updates to the DP-32SD become necessary, they will be made available"

So, now we know.

Not to hijack the thread and as I've stated, I am right now torn between the Zoom and the Tascam. What I like about the Zoom you can pair two together for a total of 16 tracks of recording. Now, I would probably never need that, but it is a nice option.

Thoughts?

Not to hijack the thread and as I've stated, I am right now torn between the Zoom and the Tascam. What I like about the Zoom you can pair two together for a total of 16 tracks of recording. Now, I would probably never need that, but it is a nice option.

Thoughts?

DM60........not sure what ZOOM unit you're looking at. I assume you are looking at the R16? Perhaps you meant that you could pair two R16's (which you can) and make 32 tracks? In any case.......then you'd be buying two R16's which would cost more than a single DP-24. You sound like where I was at when I first bought the R16. I was sure I'd never need more tracks. Wrong. Bought the DP-24 and am very happy.

DM60........not sure what ZOOM unit you're looking at. I assume you are looking at the R16? Perhaps you meant that you could pair two R16's (which you can) and make 32 tracks? In any case.......then you'd be buying two R16's which would cost more than a single DP-24. You sound like where I was at when I first bought the R16. I was sure I'd never need more tracks. Wrong. Bought the DP-24 and am very happy.

Mick, if you look, you can pair two Zooms for 16 simultaneous track recording, not just 16 tracks (record 8, then record another 8). Which, for example you wanted to Mic your drums, gives you 8, then the other 8 for vocals and other instruments all in one setting. As stated by Dave above, that is really a nice feature. Get the difference?

Mick, if you look, you can pair two Zooms for 16 simultaneous track recording, not just 16 tracks (record 8, then record another 8). Which, for example you wanted to Mic your drums, gives you 8, then the other 8 for vocals and other instruments all in one setting. As stated by Dave above, that is really a nice feature. Get the difference?

Oh yes......got it. Inputs. Good point.

I have the Zoom R16 and the DP24 both have there pro;s and cons. I could of bought an other R16 but decided to get the DP24 as I find it far more intuitive and easy to use better layout nice screen and has a CD to master too if you do not want to involve a DAW etc. The Zoom is more menu driven per function than the Tascam however it is more portable works off batteries and has 2 built in mikes so handy for rehearsals or getting quick ideas down and can be used as an interface which I have struggled to get working with sonar but kind of got working with cubase. In my opinion the DP24 has better mastering than the Zoom almost eliminating the necessity of mastering software like T racks, Wavelab etc although I wished they had included the normalize function as a track edit as well as a mastering function.
I still use DAW software with both units but that's just me as I like using frequency conscious noise gates to separate snare from kick on a miked drum kit so I can add reverb to the snare without effecting the kick and I sometimes like to use melodyne (esp with my untalented singing).

I think for me, I have solved my dilemma. I think I am going to get a Tascam 1800 for about 280 and get a duo core laptop for about $200 (Tiger Direct, off lease) , throw Reaper on it and call it a day. Since I am not going to mix on it, just track, bigger screen, etc. Seems like one extra piece of equipment and a lot more flexibility.

I did experiment with Ardour and my Presonus on an old laptop with Ubuntu and was amazed that it worked without much effort. But it is an old laptop and Unix/Linux is still such a pain to work with. But it can be done.

Unless you want you want all in a box, that seems to be the best route.

Is it possible that they might make another version of the DP32SD that WOULD have MIDI ? I agree. I have a 2488, and I was thinking of a DP32, but I can't find one, since it's been discontinued. I would not mind paying a little extra for a DP32SD with MIDI added back on. For that matter, I would really like it if Tascam took the DP32 off the, "Discontinued shelf", and brought it back to us. Many recordists ( like me ) find that recording on a computer takes away from the flow of your creativity ( not for all, of course, but for some people - like me ).

Tascam dropping midi was a huge mistake ....at least usb midi would be something but to drop it completely is a bad call.

Back