246 overhaul, what should I have them do?

Monty Cadenhead

I've got a new/old 246 off of ebay, and it needs to go back to Tascam to have it's headphone amp fixed. While it's there, I might as well have them go through it, and fix anything else that needs (or will need) adjustment.

Any suggestions of what else I should have Tascam do to get it ready for another few years?

Great machine, BTW, and my thanks to A REEL PERSON, who (with his archived comments) talked me into the 246, rather than a new one.

Thanks too, to our esteemed host, who runs a pretty good board.

Monty

Sure, no problem, and great choice!

Didn't I catch this question on Tascambbs/Portastudios?

Over there I'm 'LTU'.

-----------

Fix the headphone amp, change the capstan-drive belt, and have them do an alignment/calibration.

>Pretty much the same answer I gave on Tascambbs.

Yes, I speak from experience when it comes to Portastudios, and relatively speaking, the 246 is one of the best vintage Portastudios out there, IMO, mainly for it's VU-style, 4-BUSS mixer, flexible monitoring, generous I/O and excellent EQ section. There's a lot of technology packed into the 246, and although it's considered vintage, it still holds up well against most other Portastudio designs, and that's why people love them.

BTW, you've read before that I've pointed out that the features and layout of the 246 are most like the 388, it's sister-product, while still being the relative size of the 244, it's predecessor.

The 246 is a winner in my book, and I have two.

Thanx, good choice & good luck!

Re: Sure, no problem, and great choice!

A Reel Person said:
Didn't I catch this question on Tascambbs/Portastudios?

I thought you and he might be the same guy, same writing style, same superb spelling. :)

Thanks again,

M.

Back