246 almost there!

xxmangoosexx

Friends! My 246 Portastudio has been almost completely revamped, thorough cleaning, changed the belts - it runs well, but occasionally 'eats tape,'

is this a situation where the pinch roller needs replacing?

thanks!

anybody? why do tascam four tracks eat tape? i've done a search but only come up with solutions for consumer 2-track decks.

Pinch roller i thought i needed is on back order from japan...after the quake it's gonna be a while before things get back to normal (if they ever).

but i went ahead and replaced the rubber on the idler tires, as per Dr. Zee's tutorial using faucet washers, and it now the thing works like a charm. i guess the idler tires were slipping, and the take up reel was not moving fast enough so tape was getting eaten up.

I have now replaced both belts, and the idler tires. I should probably replace the pinch roller, but that can wait for now. I've cleaned the whole unit, it looks great. Aside from having to "tap" one of the VU meters to get it to kick in, I have a fully functioning 246 in great condition on my hands.

what other kind of maintenance can i do on it? Demag the heads? Is this even worth the trouble on a cassette based machine?

Also, can the VU meters be calibrated at all? I see 6 little holes in the plastic, behind the vu meters (of which there are 6 on the 246)...are these for calibrating? I don't have a manual.

thanks!!! this board has been an invaluable resource.

Back