20's/30's vibe

m_von_lie

How can I get a recording to sound like it was recorded in the twenties, like that effect that Christina Aguilera used on the song 'I Got Trouble'?

Does that particular effect have a name and do I need new hardware to record it?:)

Are you using a computer to record?

There's a free plug-in by ozone called vinyl:

screenshot.jpg

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/vinyl/

There's a free plug-in by ozone called vinyl:
I know this is more of a 60s thing that a 30s thing, but...

what, no "Candle Wax" slider? At least a selector for the number of penies taped to the headshell...

:D

For a good 20s-30s sound you need plenty of muggles. Stay away from the viper though....

G.

set everyone up on a soundstage and adjust there volume by placing them or their instrument at different distances from the "one microphone" and limit your headroom, and frequency response roll of everything under 200hz and get a record cutter and record straight to an acitate master and make sure you distort it just enuff. :eek:

Many a smuggled muggle or the odd 1/2 dozen teacups of gin - I always used a farthing or halfpenny on the headshell when it got serious - we didn't know better but the vinyl I still have from that period is difficult to listen to & hard on the stylus (karma there?).
Izotop isn't bad but it can be VERY obvious if not used discretely.
You could record the run in/out grooves of some vinyl & run a track of that.

How can I get a recording to sound like it was recorded in the twenties, like that effect that Christina Aguilera used on the song 'I Got Trouble'?

Does that particular effect have a name and do I need new hardware to record it?:)

Since the sound is primarily a product of limited (and uneven) freq response and mild distortion, some radical EQ and a little preamp drive 'grit' would emulate it pretty closely. Or, you could even try using your headphones as a mic, although that could quite easily sound bloody aweful (more like a telephone)! But you never know.

unless you want that limited bandwidth distortion sound for an effect... getting it to have a 30's vibe is going to be more about the melody and the arrangement than the processing you doing to it

Back