20 bit to 24 bit or what?

lotuscent

OK - just did some major upgading of my front end with a couple different new pre's. I'm still using the 20 bit converters in my original MOTU 2408, which I have been told have been waaaay surpassed.

With my old front end, I don't believe I could even hear the difference between my own recordings at 16 or 20 bit... I must say I am embarrassed to admit that, but it is true. I think I have pretty good ears, and I know my monitoring environment is not ideal... but could this be a lack of clarity in the converters?

are there 20 bit converters out there that are better than 24 bit ones? Can all of you hear the difference?

What might you recommend?

I've never used 20 bit, but I can tell the difference between 16 and 24, especially if its not properly dithered.

As far as converters go, they run the whole gauntlant of quality from very good, to pretty bad.
Names like: Apogee, Lucent are hard to go wrong with, and Steinberg and RME are at a pretty good price point, with others like Flying Cow, umm... a little further down the "food chain".

Another thing to consider when shopping for converters is of course the sample rate.
Do a google search for "Nyquist Theory". An interesting concept, and a must know theory for anyone doing digital audio.

Ummm... ok....

Bear... could you please wait until Michael FINISHES the studio then before killing him? :)

I'd appreciate it.

Velvet Elvis

Back