$20,000 Mic Cabinet!!!!!!

When that happens, Immediately hit the back button, highlight all that you have written, hit control/c, then go to log back in then hit reply and control/v. then hit the submit reply button.

That happens to me when I have a long post, sometimes, still pisses me off.:cool:

If I were starting from scratch, but didn't want to
deal with whole vintage mic thing, here's what I'd pick:

2 Neumann M149s ($6000)
2 AKG C414s ($1200)
2 Neuman KM184s ($1000)
2 AKG C451s ($1000)
2 EV RE20s ($700)
2 Sennheiser 421s ($700)
1 Royer stereo ($2000)

My prices are approximate, but come to less than $13000.
Plenty of money left over to round out this "classic" mic cabinet
with a bunch of throwaway Chinese cheapies to stick
in front of kick drums. Also, lots of money left over for
other gear.

Cabinet update #1

SM57 (6)
Shure Beta 52 (2)
Neumann KM184 (2)
THE Audio - 33 capsule and pre amp body (2)
Sennheiser MD421 (2)
Lawson L47MP (1)
Soundelux U195 (1)
AT 4050 (2)
Royer R-121 (2)
Neumann U87 (2)
AT 4060 (1)
Shure SM7 (1)
Brauner Phantom C (1)

I got rid of the 4033s cause I figured I would usually use the 4050's anyway... and I also got rid of one 4060.

I don't know the total but, I'm still under $20k.

Anymore suggestions, just throw em' my way.

Later,
Musik

i dunno what everyone here is talking about. Ive got the perfect solution to all your problems. The best mic cabinet to ever hit the earth.

two hundred SM57s. Comes really close to about 20k and you can do just about everything and everything. Just amagine slapping 30 sm57s on a kick drum for one huge kick. how bout all 200 on vocals, and 195 on guitar. You could also run a couple of mics out to your plum tree in the back. Maybe one out to your garage, maybe a couple in the neighbors shower and bedroom. Just think of the possibilities. You could talk them to paint ball wars and use them as grenades. You could use one to grind your pepper.

If only you could imagine the possibilties.

danny

Check out the latest Pro Audio Review for a saliva-inducing look at Lawson's ELA-M251 clone. Damn if that isn't one fine looking mic (Blue and Gold!), and with an unqualified rave review too! Better than the Soundelux version at a significantly lower price ($2500). Makes you wonder why anyone would drop $10,000 on the new ELAMs.

Now I've got a tough decision as to whether my next mic should be that one or Stephen's... Arghhhh!

Re: Cabinet update #1

musikman316 said:

Anymore suggestions, just throw em' my way.

You still don't have any small diaphragm omnis. A matched pair of Earthworks QTCs costs less than one U87, and are some of the best mics imaginable for classical recordings (piano, string sections, harp, etc) as well as percussion mics, especially stuff with super hi-frequency content like triangles.

And as stated above, maybe you should read the PAR review of the Lawson 251.

If it doesn't break your budget, maybe consider 2 Neumann M149s
in lieu of the 87s. Or 1 M149 instead of any of the other LD
condensers you have. It's truly a world-class mic (just don't
expect it to sound like a vintage mic -- it's its own thing).

Also, you might need another stereo pair of small diaphragm
condensers. Maybe the AKG 451s. Actually, I'm really enjoying
my Rode NT5s ($300 for a matched pair).

Website for PAR. My Borders doesn't have it on the shelves.

Thanks,
Musik

I will probably have an update on the cabinet tonight.

New cab + total

Shure SM57 (6) - $479.94
Shure Beta 52 (2) - $379.98
Neumann KM184 (2) - $1,199.99
THE Audio 33 Capsule & Pre amp body (2) - $1,860.00
Sennheiser MD421 (2) - $599.98
Lawson L47MP (1) - $1995.00
Soundelux U195 (1) - $1,124.99
AT 4050 (2) - $1,199.94
Royer R-121 (2) - $2,190.00
Neumann U87 (2) - $4,990.00
AT 4060 (1) - $1,099.00
Shure SM7 (1) - $441.97
Brauner Phantom C (1) - $1,250.00
Earthworks QTC1MP (1) - $1949.97

Total: $20,760.76

I know I can find some of these cheaper or used... so I still consider this under $20k

Thanks to all who have given me suggestions.

Later,
Musik

I'll take 40 of these...:D :D :D

md441.gif

Seems like you are mixing some street prices with some list prices. If you went with all street prices you'd probably be under $17,000.

Is the QTC 1MP a new multipattern version of the QTC? If so, you're better off with a matched pair of the regular (omni) QTC's (street price: $1200/pair). After all, you already have small diaphragm cardioids in the KM184's. And with the $700 you save, you can always get an AKG 451 or a pair of Oktavas and still have money left over.

I also agree that I'd rather have 2 M149's than two U87's. The street price of a pair of 149's won't be that much more than your list price on the two U-87's. You could use some of the $700 that you saved above to make up the difference.

In another scenario, get one M149 and one Lawson 251 and skip the U87's altogether.

There's a lot of redundancy. For instance, if you had a couple of Lawson L47mp's, you probably could skip both the AT4060 and the AT4050's. There's nothing either of those mics would do that the Lawson won't do much better.

And if you don't have some primo preamps, you will be better off with the Royer 122's than the 121's.

Anyway, when you convert everything to street prices, you should have at least $1500 extra to put aside for Stephen Paul's mic. I have a feeling you might regret not budgeting one into the equation.

I gotta admit, it is certainly fun to fantasize. In the last decade, I've probably spent about $15,000 on mics, but in dribs and drabs, so you don't necessarily end up with the same collection you might get if you went out and spent it in one lump sum. Too bad i can't bundle up a bunch of my $500 mics and trade them even up for a couple of $2500 ones.

Sennheiser said:
I'll take 40 of these...:D :D :D

md441.gif

The scary thing is, I almost believe you would!

It's like the guy who goes to Bermuda on vacation, likes it, and so for the next forty years goes to the same hotel on the same island every single year. Never even wonders what Europe or Asia or South America would be like. Never even tries the Caribbean. Hey, he likes his hotel on his island, and he's happy.

Kinda sad though... :(

2 Shure SM-7
2 AKG C414
2 Neumann KM184
2 AKG D112
2 AT 4033
1 Stephen Paul mic
1 B.L.U.E. Dragonfly
1 B.L.U.E. Bottle
1 Studio Projects T-3
2 Oktava MC012's w/ all the capsules
1 Soundelux U195
4 Shure 57 Beta
1 Neumann U47 w/ Stephen Paul mod
well under $20,000, assuming Stephen Paul likes you at least a little.-Richie

Hi, new at the forum.
Its interesting how people reccomend mics they haven't even heard...even more when those are expensive ;)
Don't mean to offend anyone, just my 2 cents worth.

BradD said:

Stephen Paul (when it comes out) $1,500

Mr. Groove, there is such a thing as faith. We all know what Stephen Paul does, and we all know what kind of components are being used to build his new mic. Given all that, and knowing Alan Hyatt's attention to detail and amazing customer service, this mic is already sold to me prior to production. These guys simply will not build and market a mic they don't believe in, and if they believe in it, so do I.
It's already sold, at least to me. Alan, when you've got a price and a firm delivery date, send me an email and put me on your waiting list.-Richie

It's sort of like having Mr Shelby build a car for you. It's a safe guess that it'll haul ass.

Back